• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Enlarging JPEGs for printing

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I need to enlarge and print some JPEG;s.  I have access to Elements 15 but I am far from expert.

My question is,is there any advantage in doing this manually (ie expert mode) or would the resulting quality be just as good in guided mode.  If manual is superior I would appreciate any tips or links to online tutorials etc.

Thanks

TOPICS
Creative , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try to enlarge via Image>resize>image size. This will resample, and depending on the picture may be acceptable. For printing, the rule of thumb is that the resulution should be in the 240-300 px.in range. I have printed successfully below this target on occasion.

Think of a net - as you stretch it the intersteses become larger.

The other consideration is the aspect ratio of the picture. Let us assume that you wish to print on 4x6" paper. If the image does not conform to this ratio, it will not fit comfortably, and you may have to crop it or to select objects and copy/paste to a 4x6 canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply.  That is how I've been resizing so far.  Going to image size, changing either the height or width to the desired print size and setting the resoloution to 300.  I then crop the resulting image if the ratio isn't correct.  I keep the three checkboxes ticked (Scale styles, proprtion and Resample image) and the drop down box as bicubic.  I haven't been using any of the "enhance" drop down actions.  I wasn't sure if this was the best route to maximise the quality of the new larger image, some of the images will have to be enlarged considerably.  I had read online that it is better to resize in 3 or 4 steps rather than one.  I would be interested in hearing thoughts on this and any suggestions on improving results.  The originals are black and white "art" type prints if that maked any difference.  Don't know if any of the enhance actions would improve the result.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You refer to "quality" & "improving results."

What is the problem? Are the images pixellated ofter your manipulation? Are these scans of old prints?

If you are so inclined, you can post a representative file here on the forum for us to look at. Use the Insert Photos icon at the top of the reply box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not particularly experienced with photoshop but was working on the assumption that enlarging a JPEG would inevitably cause pixelation to some degree.  I was hoping to tap in to the collective wisdom here for any hints and tips to minimise this as I would have thought this would be a fairly common task for regular users.  I have only just started this and on the screen the results look ok but until I get the physical prints back it might not be that obvious.

If I'm not making any rookie mistakes with the method I have described above I will crack on and have them profesionally printed and take it from there.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines