• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Epson R3000: Switch from Luster paper/color printing to B&W on Velvet paper created output nightmare

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started experiencing first-time problem with my Epson R3000. In any mode -- printing via Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, or the printer's own software -- the prints look something like a negative, with cartoonish colors (see attached -- I used various settings and got these same results).  For the record, I have taken all the normal steps in an effort to fix the issue: delete the printer and add it again; uninstall the driver and reinstall the latest one (on both computers.) I checked all the settings - paper profiles, color management, etc.  I also checked the nozzle (they were fine) and did a head cleaning. Yet, the issue repeats itself is the exact same way over and over, no matter the settings.

The problem manifested itself the moment after a successful printing session when I needed to switch from color printing on Epson Ultra Premium Luster paper to B&W printing on Epson Velvet Fine Art paper. I adjusted the necessary software settings and also changed the settings on the printer itself -- to accommodate the Velvet paper and print it through the front manual feed. I also switched the ink setting from Photo Black to Matte Black. And that might be the genesis of the problem. All of the B&W prints were out of whack (see attached image which shows a garish bluish cast -- other versions showed a similar cast only greenish). The Matte Black ink was old. I rarely use it. Could my issues have something to do with old ink messing up the entire printerHTM_1633.jpgHTM_1637.jpg? Even though there doesn't appear to be a clog, could it be responsible for the problem? I can't seem to solve this, try as I might. Any assistance is deeply appreciated.

TOPICS
How to , Mac , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggest that you contact Epson support.

1-888-463-7766

Please get back to us with the resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't say whether you have tried it yet, so try resetting the preferences file. Go to Edit>Preferences>General tab and click the Reset Preferences on next launch button.

Also, do you get the same results printing from the Organizer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP states that the problem prevails among Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, and the "printer's own software." 

I doubt, seriously, that resetting preferences will fix it, but worth a try - nothing to lose.

It would be interesting to plug in another printer to see what happens when printing via another machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did reset the preferences. It didn't change anything. I don't print from Organizer. But I suspect that the issue traces to the printer, not settings, driver, etc. As noted, I suddenly experienced the same exact output problems when attempting to print via two different MacBook Pros, uses CS5, Photoshop Elements, and through the Epson printer software. Thank you for responding!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you. Have you contacted Epson?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will contact them tomorrow (Monday). Right now, I am (back) for the third straight day at the computer/printer, trying to trace my steps since things went sour. I tried printing out thumbnails of a differe nt photo, and noticed some light banding. So I am performing a series of nozzle checks/head cleanings. It is not clear that there was/is some clogging in the matte black compartment. Performing the fourth cleaning now, and the breaks in the nozzle check are slowly disappearing. The key question is this: Could  clog in the matte black nozzle (from using an old ink cart) cause an entire print to look so bizarre?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Eureka! The problem is corrected. It was, in fact, a clog in the matte black nozzle. It took seven head cleanings to correct. The clog wasn't initially evident from the nozzle check. I made additional test prints with an image that more readily revealed horizontal lines, indicating something was wrong with the nozzles. Lesson learned. Yes, using an old ink cart can, indeed, cause major printing issues. Thanks to all who chimed in!.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines