• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error Message

Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to PS2020, when I click on delete from hard disk when deleting images, I get the following error message:

"An error occurred while reading files or writing files to disc.  The disc may be full or there may be a problem with the source media."

Prior to upgrading, everything worked fine.  

Thanks for any input

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using?  How many files are you trying to delete at one time?  How much free space exists on your system drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10.  I have 344 GB free space.  I started out just trying to delete one photo and then found I got it every time.

I am also getting the following error message in Editor when I try to save an image:

Could not save as {file name} because the file could not be found."

Basically I haven't been able to do much of anything since upgrading to 2020 from 2018.

Thanks for any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version did you upgrade from? 

Did you convert your catalog from the prior version?

Have you performed any file management (delete, move or rename) of your photos outside of Elements?

Have you deleted the prior version of Elements?

Do you have your files stored on your C drive? 

What is the folder structure of your photos?

Do any files in your catalog show as missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgraded from PSE 2018

Yes, converted catalog.

No file  management outside of Elements.

Deleted prior version (2018).

Yes, files store on C drive.

They are saved by date shot.  I put them in designated folders (year, vacagion, etc)

Yes, sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I said I put my photos in folders, I meant I put them in albums within Photoshop.  I don't move them around outside Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get a solution to this? I am getting the same error in Adobe Elements Organizer 2020 when just trying to rotate photos.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jmoedata does this problem happen shortly after you import the files?  If so, I suspect that the cause is the media analysis that is being undertaken.   This seems to lock the files until media analysis is completed (or possibly a relaunch of the program).  What kind of files are you rotating?  Are they possibly .heic files from an iPhone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, they are .heic files from an iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements for Windows cannot write files to the .heic format.  It can only display them. There was a problem with Elements properly reading the display orientation in prior versions.  As a result, if you are trying to rotate a .heic file, you should receive the following dialog:

Snap_2021.12.30_11h30m46s_001.png

You can then save the rotated file, e.g. as a jpeg, and it will then be placed in a stack with the original .heic file.

Elements 2022 now properly orients .heic files so there is no need to rotate them.

Since most social media cannot use the .heic format, I frankly see no reason to use the format other than to save storage on my iPhone.  So, when you import from your phone, you may want to change the iPhone Photo settings For Transfer To Mac or PC to Automatic rather than Keep Originals.  (It is the last setting for the Photos app.)  Using this setting will convert the .heic photos to jpegs when they are imported to your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I dont get that option.  If the image is upside down, it will allow me to rotate it once, but will get the error on the 2nd time I rotate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found that HEIC files cannot be deleted from the HD by organizer  BUG NEEDS FIXING

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines