• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EXIF GPS Metadata Bug with Elements Organiser 2019 (Version 17.0)

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have come across a problem with PSE 2019 with the Organiser when using the Save Metadata to File option (Ctrl + W)

My original photograph includes EXIF GPS data showing the location of the photograph.

When I first import the photos into Organiser they contain Latitude and Longitude information in the EXIF data.

I TAG the photos with relevant information in the organiser and then write the Tag information back to the file.

The GPS Data that gets written back in the EXIF Metadata however gets truncated or corrupted.

None of this data was changed during my editing, all I did was add several Keyword Tags.

For example, my original photograph has

Latitude          30, 58' 19.117813"

Longitude     116, 12' 50.312519"    

After writing the TAG metadata to the file using the Ctrl+W option I get the following

Latitude          30, 58' 19.000000"

Longitude     116, 0' 0.000000"

This shifts the location of the photograph (in my case) out to sea and effectively renders the GeoTag data useless.

It has corrupted hundreds of my photographs before I discovered where the corruption has come from.

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to report this but I couldn't find anywhere else to communicate the problem.

I'm hoping this can be verified and corrected urgently.

It's making the Organiser unusable for me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Yes, I can replicate this bug after saving metadata to files.

Please, report it in the feedback forum:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

There has been many bugs  for GPS location in several Adobe softwares.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can replicate this bug after saving metadata to files.

Please, report it in the feedback forum:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

There has been many bugs  for GPS location in several Adobe softwares.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just made a quick test to see if the bug was also present in PSE2018. It was not.

It's not a big problem for me, I don't use the geotagging regularly and I don't need precision, but I can't understand why saving metadata to files can change the GPS coordinates when I don't use the geotagging features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported the issue in the feedback forum.

Photoshop Elements 2019 Organizer. Saving metadata (Ctrl W) truncates GPS info. | Photoshop Family C...

If anyone can confirm the same bug, please add your vote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all, 

I can fully confirm the bug reported by Michel. I had hundreds of pictures which were initially correctly geotagged by my camera, and the tags went crrupted after Ctrl+W.  The longitude reference (E/W) was missing, and the longitude value was truncated to integer value (1°, 2°, ..). This is really a night mare to correct afterwards, believe me !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please find below snapshots which confirms that GPS metadata are corrupted when doing either Export or MetadataWrite.   This is a major flaw in PSE which needs to be corrected asap. 

After export (Ctrl+E) or MetadataWriter (Ctrl+W) :

GPS_Metadata_After_Export_ExifPilot.jpg

Original metadata : 

GPS_Metadata_Before_Export_ExifPilot.jpg

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines