• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export FROM Lightroom to Elements

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2019 Jun 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client version of Lightroom (v 5.7.1). I am not a 'power' user and therefore do not want to pursue upgrades via the cloud versions. Rather, I would like to migrate my catalogue to Photoshop Elements.

Question: Is it possible to export my Lightroom catalogue in some format that could then be imported to Elements. (Searches in forums seem to focus only on the reverse process.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this can be done.  Elements only imports media files into a catalog.  There is no option to import a data file from another program.  However, there are a number of tools that automate the organization of media once imported.  Do you already have Elements?  If so, which version?  What is your main concern about duplicating your Lr catalogue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am basically a hobby photographer and now realize I don't need the full power of Lightroom (which I bought several years ago before I retired) and therefore don't want to buy into the CC subscription cycle. If I gift my photo collection to someone else to use, I don't want to commit them to subscribing to Lightroom CC.

I have 20000 photos tagged in Lightroom (standalone) and my intention was to buy the current client version of Elements and work within that environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another question to get the most of what you can recover from Lightroom to Elements: Do you shoot raw files?

It's true that you can convert an Elements catalog database to a LR catalog one, but not the other way round. But you can recover your metadata and tagging in other softwares (including Elements) if you 'write metadata to files' before the import.

What will be lost will be the organization in collections (albums), your tags hierarchies, your stacks and version sets. You'll also lose your editing and organizing 'presets'. It's possible to create keywords to keep individual collections and transform them into albums later on.

However, Elements has a strong advantage over third party solutions when you import files in which you have 'written metadata to files'. By default, LR does not create sidecar xmp files to store the metadata AND editing history (the sliders settings). But if you tell LR to create those xmp sidecar files or to write the settings in the metadata header of jpegs, PSE will be able to understand and use that information. The ACR version in PSE is able to edit the most important settings;  the other will be taken into account but not editable.

So, Elements has the advantage over third party software to be widely compatible with the parametric and non-destructive editing of LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2019 Jun 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may already be automatically writing metadata to XMP. Check Lightroom preferences. You could do some preparation e.g. create a temporary keyword for images in Lightroom collections and save metadata to files. You could then use those keywords to create albums in Elements Organizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2019 Jun 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I suggest you try importing one or two folders of files as a test. Organizer will prompt to import keywords. Simply accept all.

You can install the software and use it free for 30 days. Click the link below. 

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/download-trial/try.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines