• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

external hard drives

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can I delete photos from my C drive after I have backed up my catalog to an external hard drive?

TOPICS
Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The catalog is just a shortcut that points to your photos.  It doesn't contain your photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so what is your recommendation for me to do so that I can free up space on my C drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What size is it?

How full is it?

You might want to consider getting a larger drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yahyah9 said:

so what is your recommendation for me to do so that I can free up space on my C drive?

In the folder panel of the Organizer, move all of your photos to your external drive by click and drag.  You need to be in the tree view of the folders panel to be able to do this. 

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.01.07_16h16m57s_001_.png

Your external drive will then have to be connected to your computer in order for the catalog to show your photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Important: if you copy your photos to a drive and then delete the original, it ISN'T A BACKUP. Just putting it on an external drive doesn't make it a backup. It's only a backup if there are two copies on different drives (or different places).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"can I delete photos from my C drive after I have backed up my catalog to an external hard drive?"

It appears that there is ambiguity both about the definition of a backup and of a catalog.

First, we don't know what you mean by a catalog. If  you are using the definition of Elements, a catalog is a folder containing a number of files and subfolders organized around a 'catalog.pseXXdb' sqlite database. Greg is right, the catalog folder does not contain the media files, only links.

You can backup (or copy) your catalog folder from any external tool, including the explorer or finder.

You can't use the catalog manager to do just that.

The 'backups' from the organizer deal both with the catalog folder AND the media folders trees referenced by the links in the database. The 'move catalog' process, based on a backup and a restore do the same.

- if you have simply done a copy of the catalog, you lose all your media.

- if you have made an organizer backup, you just have a catalog folder, which is not useable without a restore. It's not a useable copy, it's everything you need to restore your media and your catalog where you want while keeping the links connected to the new location of the media files. If you delete your originals, you don't have a useable catalog without a restore, but you can restore where you want, even on several drives. Once you have restored, you have a useable catalog and media together with a backup, since the backup folder is still available.

Important:  this is very different from the definition of catalog backups in Lightroom in which only the catalog folders are backed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines