Highlighted

Facial Recognition missing too many faces

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have thousands of photos & have spent hours identifying faces.  Organizer does a decent job of recognition but it is missing thousands of identical and similar faces in other photos.  I upgraded to the latest Photoshop Elements with the hope that it would do a better job.  I really don't want to manually tag thousands of photos.  Any thoughts??
Elements Organizer 18.0.0.0
Core Version: 18.0 (20190827.m.136736)
Language Version: 18.0 (20190827.m.136736)

Current Catalog:
Catalog Name: My Catalog
Catalog Location: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\My Catalog\
Catalog Size: 44.6MB
Catalog Cache Size: 505.5MB

TOPICS
Organizer, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Facial Recognition missing too many faces

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have thousands of photos & have spent hours identifying faces.  Organizer does a decent job of recognition but it is missing thousands of identical and similar faces in other photos.  I upgraded to the latest Photoshop Elements with the hope that it would do a better job.  I really don't want to manually tag thousands of photos.  Any thoughts??
Elements Organizer 18.0.0.0
Core Version: 18.0 (20190827.m.136736)
Language Version: 18.0 (20190827.m.136736)

Current Catalog:
Catalog Name: My Catalog
Catalog Location: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\My Catalog\
Catalog Size: 44.6MB
Catalog Cache Size: 505.5MB

TOPICS
Organizer, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 12, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has face recognition analysis been completed?  Have you unchecked the Hide Small Stacks box in the UnNamed People panel?

Snap10_2019.10.12_23h42m45s_002_.png

How many images/videos do you have in your catalog?  On what are you basing your statement that it has missed thousands of identical or similar faces in other photos?  Are the images full face or turned to a side?

I have been using face recognition in every versions since it was first introduced (version 11, IIRC).  I believe it has improved in every version, and 2020 is no exception.  In the early days, a person had to be pictured full face to be recognized.  Now, faces are recognized even when turned almost to profile.  I am not saying that face recognition is perfect by any means.  But, when it first appeared, I felt I could tag my photos faster manually; now, I leave it almost entirely to face recognition analysis.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply! I have 6,732 photos and a dedicated computer (Win 10) just for photos. I can understand not picking up a side view of a person but I have way too many where there is a single person facing the camera. I have identified that same person many times. Per your reply, I did uncheck hide small stacks. As an example, it identified my son in 358 photos but in the People, UnNamed section there are too many of him.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Would like to know what is the issue exactly you are facing:

• Are those faces not getting detected in People view?
  • Or they are not automatically merged with your son's existing stacks?

An easier to name multiple stacks of same person would be:

1. Select all stacks of that person in Unnamed view, using, 'Shift + Arrow keys' or 'Clicking multiple stacks while keeping Ctrl key pressed'

2. After selecting multiple stacks, Right click and select 'Merge stacks'

3. A dialog box appears asking the name of this person, enter the name and click OK.

Let me know if this solves your issue or in case of any other queries.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Somna, Thank you for your reply. They are not all being detected in the People view. I did try your suggestion. I Ctrl clicked on my son's unnamed short stacks. I merged 79 with his name. Unfortunately, this was very time consuming to work my way through all of the unnamed photos. Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2019 0