• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Filter: OnEdge Freezing

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop Elements 21 installed on a Dell Precision Workstation running Windows 10 2004, 64-bit with 32 GB RAM and an Intel Xeon processor. I am currently working with a TIF file that is roughly 2.7 GB in size, attempting to straigthen it. When I select the function to perform this action, Elements seems to get hung up at about the last 30% and will not move past that point. Elements goes from using roughly 1.5 GB of RAM idle, to 3 GB of RAM opening the image, to almost 12GB of RAM when attempting to process the image before it comes to a complete stop.. I have already adjusted both the RAM that Elements can use (17GB) and have given it access to a drive that has well over 500GB of scratch disk space to attempt to resolve the issue, but have not had any luck. I have included screenshots as well as system information. Has anyone else run into this issue before?

TOPICS
Actions , Crash or freeze , Performance , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the size in pixels of the image?  Have you tried reducing the size of the file?  The only other thing I can suggest is to turn off the GPU under the Performance tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck with the GPU being disabled. I even went and converted the image from a TIF to a hi-res JPG which brought down the file size to 295MB and it still got hung up when I tried to straighten that out . The specs for the TIF in question are as follows:

W = 19200 pixels

H = 24000 pixels 

Horizontal/Vertical Resolution = 2400 dpi

Bit Depth = 24

Compression = Uncompressed

Resolution Unit = 2

Color Representation = Uncalibrated

Would you or anyone happen to know if there is a file size limit when working with a TIF like this? From what I read I understood there was a 4GB limit, BUT it does not state if there is a limit on the number of pxels it can handle unless I am overlooking that information. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

30,000 x 30,000--- the ram size is dictated by your system ram and scratch disk size. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Temp files created on the scratch disk can become huge, really quick: just download your attachements created a temp file on my scratch disk over over 1 GB.

Please post a screenshot (please not as an attachment) 2021-03-25_151616.jpgof the enitre program once you do this:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, I am not fully understanding what it is that you are asking for. Are you asking for a screenshot of what the scratch size is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021-03-25_151616.jpgA screenshot of the entire program, with the image loaded , showing the scratch size as depicted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I understand. I will take it and post it in here tomorrow morning for the group to review.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I failed to mention in the last reply was that the Scratch Size was showing 5.56G/15.8G after converting it to 8-bit to carry out the straightenting process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the screenshot of what the image looks like in Elements:

Screenshot 2021-03-26 082403.pngScreenshot 2021-03-26 082303.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the straighten tool for the image or are you using the Image>Rotate menu?  If you are using the straighten tool, are you using an option to Autofill edges?  If so, try changing the options.

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.03.25_15h39m35s_011_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am performing the action by going through the Image>Rotate menu option 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried playing around with the Straighten Tool?

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.03.25_16h39m50s_012_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't yet no. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So I was able to achieve the desired result using the Straighten Tool, but it still does not explain though why the other method appears to max out my system resources evne though I have plenty to use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long did you let it sit while it seemed frozen?

Some processing operations, on images with large pixel dimensions such as yours, can take awhile even on a relatively powerful machine like yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I let it sit for over an hour before I had to force close Elements through the task manager since it became unresponsive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, yes, that's way too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines