• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Finding bulk files by partial filename

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently updated to Elements 2020  current revision.  Somehow, some of my backup files found their way into the catalog.  My question is - Is there a way to find these files which have the format

Bxxxxxxx.*.  I can easily identify them with the information tag in the organizer but only by one at a time.  I would like to find all those files so I can delete them from the catalog.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Did you try the Find>By File Name option?  If you enter B0 in the search text string, you should find all of the backup files.  However, it will also find all files in which that text appears anywhere in the name.  If you search for B01 followed by B02 etc.,  you should find any remaining backup files in groups.  You may also find non-backup files, particularly generated by smartphones.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find any file containing a given substring from the menu Help >> Find >> By file name. 

You specify the substring 'Find items with the file name containing '.

You can then delete them from catalog (not from disk).

Since those files are coming from a backup folder and they have been registered ("imported") by error in the catalog, It would be better to check the location of that backup folder from the file properties and to have a look at the folders panel in tree view. There is no reason to find files from backup folders in your catalog, so anything in the found backup folder should be deleted from the current catalog.

A word of caution:  deleting thousands of files in one batch may be very long and even abort after several hours. If you decide to delete from catalog, do so with smaller batches. That depends on your available RAM.

Edit:

Thanks to Greg for correcting the typo in the  "Find" menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the prompt reply.  I deleted the backup catalogs from the folder tree (left side) of organizer.  That indeed took care of most of my issues.  I have checked and there are no more backup folders in the catalog.  There are still some of the files with a backup "B" prefix.  Anyway to identify them in bulk using the find menu? Easy to fine one at a time but not more than one at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

. . .  Michel made a slight typo.  The search tool is in the Find menu, not the Help menu.    You can also use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the Find>By File Name option?  If you enter B0 in the search text string, you should find all of the backup files.  However, it will also find all files in which that text appears anywhere in the name.  If you search for B01 followed by B02 etc.,  you should find any remaining backup files in groups.  You may also find non-backup files, particularly generated by smartphones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That worked.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines