• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Foreground colour always reverts to grey

New Here ,
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I change the foreground colour to use with a brush, the square changes to the colour I have chosen, but as soon as I apply the brush, it reverts back to grey. No matter how many times I try to change it, this always happens. The mode in image is set to RGB, not greyscale so I really don't know what to do. I've already reinstalled the program once and that hasn't made any difference. Any suggestions would really be appreciated as I've become really hooked on using this great program and want to expand my knowledge about using brushes but just keep getting really frustrated.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

You may be painting with the Detail Smart Brush Tool.

Try making a new blank layer and then hit the letter B

on the keyboard. This should select the Paint Brush Tool.

See if that makes any difference.

MTSTUNER

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of us keep the foreground color as black/white.

Its easy to switch colors with a click of the mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your imput but it dosen't appear to be anything I'm

doing. The foreground box changes to grey the moment I click the

brush tool and on numerous other things as well. It's like there's some kind of default telling the foreground to stay grey despite the fact that I've selected another colour. I keep the foreground and background black and white as standard, but as soon as I select a brush and then select a colour, the foreground box changes to that colour, I click to use the brush, and the instant I do, it changes to grey, meaning I only ever have grey as the colour for the brush. Any other ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been looking at my "Elements for Dummies" book and it shows the Brush tool panel. I have some of the tools but am missing the Mode, Opacity, and another icon I don't know the name of. I have an extra Refine Edge and Choose a Preset. My best guess is that the mode is set to grayscale but I can't find it on the toolbar. I have reinstalled to get back default settings and it has set itself exactly the same way. I think I need to reset my tool bar, but have clicked "Reset Panels" and it doesn't do what I want. Any suggestions gratefully received! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be painting with the Detail Smart Brush Tool.

MTSTUNER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, when you see the active icon, click-hold on it and be sure it's the actual brush tool--there are a couple of other ones that share the same toolbox slot. The flyout menu will tell you which you've really got.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, i now know what it was i was doing wrong. It's all working fine now. I feel like a bit of a thickie. Anyway, thanks again much appreciated.

MTSTUNER <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

You maybe painting with the Detail Smart Brush Tool.

MTSTUNER

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You aren't clicking on an adjustment layer are you? I ask because the masks on those are in grayscale and the color chip will change to the color's grayscale brightness value if you have an adjustment layer selected in the layers palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help,

I have the same problem as the one mentioned in original question above.

I don't know what's wrong, but neither I was using the brush tool nor any adjustment layer.

I was giving the 'fill color' command still same issue (foreground color changes to grey in different values of opacity).

Answer:

Okay I'm editing my post and writing the solution here itself to the question I wrote.

It was so silly, I had read in some Adobe Blog about color settings and I did think that I am having the issue of 'Color reverting to grey' because of some setting where the color is set to 'Grayscale'. But I didn't know where to check.

Found it finally.

When we create a 'New Document', the 'Color' panel has few options like - RGB, CMYK, Layer CMYK, & "GRAYSCALE".
Silly me, I saw it only today after whole 12 hours, that the option in the 'color' panel had got reset to GRAYSCALE. (ghost activity i'm sure )

Well, problem solved, color set to RGB.

(Yes hilarious, I know)

I'm editing and writing this response, so that if anyone comes back at any time to this forum and on this thread specifically with any color palette issue, please read the response and learn from my error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this was driving me crazy and I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thankyou so much its was really helfull

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I literally spent like 3 hours trying to figure this out only just found thisanswer thank youuuu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, every time I touch the brush tool, even with a new document and clicking B, and although the mode is set on RGB color, it paints the entire screen gray. I see a lot of people have this issue and none of the responses have solved mine. It is still grey. I wonder if Photoshop doesn't have a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this problem too.  It's the first time I've tried using Photoshop, so I am basically clueless about the whole thing.

I noticed the name of the image I was editing had (Layer 1, Greyscale) listed.  I was poking around some of the menus and found Image>Mode.  It was set to Greyscale. I changed it to RGB, and now it appears to be working as I hoped.

Maybe this will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines