• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

From Windows 7 to new computer with Windows 10: how reinstall Photoshop Elements 2020?

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.
Soon I will buy a new computer with Windows 10. Now on my 'old' computer I have Windows 7 with Photoshop Elements 2020 (download version). How should I later transfer Elements to Windows 10? So re-install, not as a second installation on a second computer. Do I have to deactivate on the old computer? If so how? I hope you can help me. I really like Elements 2020!
(please simple English, I am Dutch hahaha)

TOPICS
Download and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Deactivating in recent Elements versions is simply using the Help menu and clicking on 'sign out'. Too simple to be believable? In older versions the same menu showed 'deactivate' instead of  'sign out'. Same function.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, you should deactivate the old computer first.

To do that, simply go to the menu Help >> sign out.

That means your Elements license is now useable on two different computers.

You never 'transfer' nor 'move' programs, you simply install on other computers and uninstall if you wish in the older ones.

So, when installing on the new computer, you'll have to 'sign in' and use your license key. You'll still have an activation available for another computer.

Since you can activate two computers, it's not necessary to deactivate on the old computer, you can use either the old or the new computer. If you don't think you'll have to use the old computer, it's safer to deactivate to keep two activations at your disposal.

Another important step to prepare the 'move' of your catalog and photo files. The usual way is to create a full backup on an external drive and to restore to the new computer.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catalog-photoshop.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Michel,

Thank you! I understand. I know about the option to activate on 2 computers. But because I have the intention the old computer after a couple of month to use anymore, I asked this. But you answer it: then "it's safer to deactivate to keep two activations at your disposal". Then I keep my question: How to de-activate? So after that I can eventually activate on a Windows laptop. ( I think that the licence for my download-Windows-version not is useable on a Macbook...?)
I hope you will answer. Thank you very much!
Greetings from Holland,

Florina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deactivating in recent Elements versions is simply using the Help menu and clicking on 'sign out'. Too simple to be believable? In older versions the same menu showed 'deactivate' instead of  'sign out'. Same function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🙃 too simple indeed! I thought that option was only for my computer, when I use Elements. That only by loggin in I for example can use Help online. thank you!

greetings FLorina. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"too simple indeed! I thought that option was only for my computer, when I use Elements. That only by loggin in I for example can use Help online. thank you!

greetings FLorina. "

In my opinion, the change from 'activate' to 'sign in' has been understood by too many users as 'log in'. The result is that many think they must 'sign out' to be disconnected from the Internet, and they wonder why they have to enter their license key for each session...

My feature request would be to issue a clear popup message explaining what you have done by signing in or out. That would not help those who look at the way to deactivate, so the old 'activate' option was much better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines