• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Get date Taken to be the only date used??????

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows does terrible things with the dates photos were taken & decides that date transferred to PC should be that date rather then when it was actually taken. This is nonsense.  If you copy photo to another drive it seems to do the same thing again.

How can you stop this & ALWAYS HAVE DATE TAKEN as per EXif Data?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

It's not a Windows 10 problem.

1 - Use the 'detailed' view - shortcut Ctrl D (what you are correctly doing)

2 - View menu: be sure to tick all options including show file name

3 - Set the zoom for the thumbnail size big enough for the above information to display

4 - Keep the Information panel visible on the right, all the tags are shown in the 'image tag' section in the bottom.

Searching by file name:

It's an option in the find menu.

Did you try the new search view (magnifying glass on top right) if y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

older  wrote

Windows does terrible things with the dates photos were taken & decides that date transferred to PC should be that date rather then when it was actually taken. This is nonsense.  If you copy photo to another drive it seems to do the same thing again.

How can you stop this & ALWAYS HAVE DATE TAKEN as per EXif Data?

Don't be fooled by what is displayed vs what is used (or recorded) in Windows or in the Organizer.

Windows stores about 15 kinds of dates, and you can choose which will be displayed, including the 'date_taken' you are referring to.

The organizer will show the 'date_taken' which is the relevant info to manage photo files. That's the date shown on the thumbnails in 'detailed' view. The Info panel on the right can also display other dates.

Of course, the 'date_taken' is only relevant for photos coming from camera with the exif date. For scanned photos, the 'date_taken' is unknown and replaced by the creation date (when the photo file has been created).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment the library isn't displaying either the file name or the tags that had previously been there.

Where can I find those 15 types of dates & where can I use them?   Can they be displayed in Windows Explorer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

older  wrote

At the moment the library isn't displaying either the file name or the tags that had previously been there.

You mean the organizer browsing space.

To display the file names and dates, switch to detailed view from the menu or the shortcut Ctrl D. Be sure to set the zoom for individual thumbnails big enough and in the 'View' menu, be sure to tick both show file names.

Where can I find those 15 types of dates & where can I use them?   Can they be displayed in Windows Explorer?

Yes you can display them in Windows Explorer.

Set the View menu to 'detail'. Right click on the columns title bar and use the 'other' option on the bottom to display all the columns types you can add to the display.

DateExplorer.jpg

Photoshop Elements 6/7/8 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said I am getting the date taken displayed below each thumbnail.  It appears that the true file name is still exists but isn't being displayed.  If I search in Windows Explorer I can find a photo that I want, by using the file name.  If I enter the same name in PSE 11 I get the same photo displayed but the name isn't displayed beneath the thumbnail, only the date taken appears.

So the file name still appears to exist but PSE isn't seeing or displaying it even though it can find it.  I'm guessing that it's a Windows 10 problem.  Maybe the same problem accounts for the fact that no tags against each thumbnail even though they can be scrolled down in the tags list.

What do you think & how do I fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a Windows 10 problem.

1 - Use the 'detailed' view - shortcut Ctrl D (what you are correctly doing)

2 - View menu: be sure to tick all options including show file name

3 - Set the zoom for the thumbnail size big enough for the above information to display

4 - Keep the Information panel visible on the right, all the tags are shown in the 'image tag' section in the bottom.

Searching by file name:

It's an option in the find menu.

Did you try the new search view (magnifying glass on top right) if you have Elements 2018?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great.  I now have the names appearing under the thumbnails.  I can see thumbnails if I click media or places but can see the thumbnails, but if I click people or events, I see none.  There had been tags for people & events as well.  In fact if I click on the scroll down tab for tags I can see listings for birthdays, weddings etc.  That's strange but at least we are moving in the right direction.

Perhaps I should re install PSE? What do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I created a new folder for the library & then told the program to get its data from the original library would that help?  Is it possible to set the program to search all drives,or selected drives to look for music files?

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

older  wrote

If I created a new folder for the library & then told the program to get its data from the original library would that help?

I don't understand exactly what you want to do ?

Is it possible to set the program to search all drives,or selected drives to look for music files?

You set the options of the 'Import' feature by selecting the master folders you want the organizer to get files from (including  its subfolders). All supported file types are imported (photo, video, creations, audio...)

Since the catalogs only record and index links to the files, nothing is changed, copied or moved in your folder tree on your drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mistake sorry.  I should have asked if the program could search all files for 'photo files' on all drives & perhaps it might  pick up & assign the missing tags for for people events.  Is this possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photos imported into Elements 18 and earlier versions over several years are not in date taken order. How do I make sure in future that the date taken is the only reference date and how should I  go about getting my existing photos into date taken order/ Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines