• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Had PE11 on Windows 8.1 and installed on Windows 10. PE11 not opening photos on Ext HD as previous

Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had PE11 on [C:] drive of a Windows 8.1 laptop with photos located on [F:] external HD.  Got a new laptop with Windows 10 and Adobe helped me download my Photoshop Elements 11 and Premier Elements 11.  Using the same [F:] external HD, Adobe could not get the Photoshop Organizer to recognize my photos on the [F:].

On my Windows 8.1 laptop I believe my Catalog was on my [C:] internal HD.  My new laptop has 256GB SSD [C:] internal HD and 1TB HDD internal HD.  Adobe downloaded the PE11 to my [C:] instead of my [D:].  Not sure how to find where my catalog is on my new Windows 10 HD.

I now very little about computers and I really need a solution to help me have the Photoshop Media and Catalog for all of my 15,000+ photos.  Thanks!

TOPICS
Download and install , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Photoshop Elements forum from the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"On my Windows 8.1 laptop I believe my Catalog was on my [C:] internal HD."

That's the default location. You can check in which drive and folder your catalog folder is situated  by using the menu Help >> System Information of the organizer in your old laptop. The new installation of the programs in the new laptop has not transferred anything of your own files and your catalog. The usual way to transfer catalog and photo file folders tree is to create a full backup on an external drive, then a restore on custom location in the new computer or drive. In your case, you don't need to transfer the photo files which are still on the same location on your F: drive. You only need to transfer the catalog folder from your old computer to the new one. Using the Explorer you can move or copy the catalog folder where you want so that it is accessible from your new computer. I would recommend copying the catalog somewhere in your F: drive (outside of your photo folders tree).

Once the copy is made, look in the catalog folder for a catalog.pse11db file, and double click it. That will open the organizer with the copied catalog. If you prefer to store your catalog in the default location on C:, use the organizer menu, catalog manager to move it back to default location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being a computer novice, I'm not sure that I totally understand this.  However, I will see if I can get some help and give it a try.  Thanks, and I will update you after my efforts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael (or anyone else who can help) - Before I do anything with my Catelog I have a few questions.  Since my photos are on my [F:] external hard drive, you say there is nothing I need to do with that (although I anticipate replacing this [F:] drive in the future.  My new laptop has 256GB SSD labled [C:] and a 1TB HDD labeled as [D:].  The Geek Squad moved my folders and files from my old laptop(which had only a [C:] drive) and installed them on my new computer's [D:] drive. I found my Catalog under D>Geek Squad Backup 9-1-19>Program Data>Adobe>Elements Organizer>Catalogs>Catalog and in that Catalog folder I have the following:

BreezeDate  8/29/2019   File folder

CAXMPFiles   8/29/2019   File folder

Previews   12/7/2013  File Folder

WaldoData   8/29/2019   File folder

backupCt.data   8/29/2019   1KB

catalog.pse11db   8/29/2019   175,041KB

collstatus.dat   8/29/2019   1KB

face.thumb9.cache   8/7/2019   428,208KB

peoplestatus.dat   8/29/2019   1KB

rmf.3.cache   8/6/2019   1KB

tagstatus.dat   8/29/2019   1KB

lthumb.5.cache   8/29/2019   661,602KB

I believe that the Geek Squad transferred most of my files from my old laptop to my new laptop on 8/29/2019.

I will send this post and post another regarding my [C:] drive since I am running out of space on this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my new laptop's [C:] drive I also have the following, but it's possible that this was created by Adobe when I chatted with Nandini on 11/1/2019.  Nandini logged on to my laptop and did his magic.  He reached the end of expertise and said my only option was to try the Adobe Forums.

C>Geek Squad Backup 9-1-19>Program Data>Adobe>Elements Organizer>Catalogs>Catalog

WaldoDate   10/31/2019   File folder

backupCt.dat   10/31/2019   1KB

catalog.pse11db   11/4/2019   111KB

collstatus.cat   10/31/2019   1KB

face.thumb9.cache   10/31/2019   1KB

peoplestatus.dat   10/31/2019   1KB

tagstatus.dat   10/31/2019   KB

thumb.5cache   10/31/2019   10KB

Not sure if move any folder(s) before double-clicking catalog.pse11db file(s).  Also, when opening PE11 on my old laptop I would get a window asking me to backup catalog, but I haven't done that in years.  One other thing, I didn't put my Catalog on my [F:] ext HD drive because a backup service I was using previously would not backup catalogs on externals.

Not sure what steps to take first, so appreciate anyone who can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael (or anyone else who can help) - Before I do anything with my Catelog I have a few questions. Since my photos are on my [F:] external hard drive, you say there is nothing I need to do with that (although I anticipate replacing this [F:] drive in the future. My new laptop has 256GB SSD labled [C:] and a 1TB HDD labeled as [D:]. The Geek Squad moved my folders and files from my old laptop(which had only a [C:] drive) and installed them on my new computer's [D:] drive. I found my Catalog under D>Geek Squad Backup 9-1-19>Program Data>Adobe>Elements Organizer>Catalogs>Catalog and in that Catalog folder I have the following:

BreezeDate 8/29/2019 File folder

CAXMPFiles 8/29/2019 File folder

Previews 12/7/2013 File Folder

WaldoData 8/29/2019 File folder

backupCt.data 8/29/2019 1KB

catalog.pse11db 8/29/2019 175,041KB

collstatus.dat 8/29/2019 1KB

face.thumb9.cache 8/7/2019 428,208KB

peoplestatus.dat 8/29/2019 1KB

rmf.3.cache 8/6/2019 1KB

tagstatus.dat 8/29/2019 1KB

lthumb.5.cache 8/29/2019 661,602KB

That sounds exacty what you need: simply double click on the 'catalog.pse11db' file.

This should open the organizer with the catalog folder moved by your Geek squad.

I am confident that will work, then we'll see if you have to store the catalog elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I should double-click the catalog.pse11.db on just my [D:] drive and not my [C:] drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So I should double-click the catalog.pse11.db on just my [D:] drive and not my [C:] drive?"

Yes.

Double clicking the catalog.pse11db in a catalog folder will open the organizer with the corresponding catalog. It appears that your old catalog is on D : while the catalog on C: is an empty one created when PSE was installed.

- The catalog.pse11db file in the catalog folder is the main database. Double clicking tells your Windows operating system to open the organizer with the catalog containing the catalog.pse11db file. The organizer can't work without a catalog. This choice is remembered by the organizer the next time you open it. The menu File >> manage catalogs shows two radio buttons for the type of location of the catalog folder. Either the default location on C: or a 'custom' location, which can be on any drive or master folder. This lets you change catalog if you have several ones. You also have the option to 'move' the catalog from the 'custom' location to the default one (for all users).

- The main database catalog.pse11db stores the location (drive + path) of each file. If you move or copy the whole catalog folder from your Windows Explorer, that information does not change. Your files on F: are still on F: which explains why you don't need to update the contents of the database.

- In your case, it does not matter much if your catalog folder is on C: or D : drives since the location is remembered by the organizer. It may be better to move the whole catalog folder from D : to the default location on C:, either from the organizer (menu File >> move ... for all users) or even from the Windows Explorer. That's a more obvious location to remember and the SSD will be faster. However if the size of your SSD appears to be a bit small, choosing the D : drive is quite good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel, tried to reply to your email, but didn't work so I am back on Adobe.  I appreciate your help and I apologize for asking questions that, to you, must make you be scratching your head and asking "Who is this Lou guy?"  I just don't know much about computers (as you can tell) and afraid to screw up this process.  I think I have it, but just want to run my steps by you first.

(1)  My [C:] SSD is only 256GB and is filling up faster than I would like, so I will not be moving my Catalog file here.  Nor will I move it to my [F:] external HD, but will keep it where it is on my [D:] HDD.
(2)  I will plug in my [F:] ext. HD with the photos into my laptop.
(3)  Do I open PE11 now and click on Organizer, or do I do this later?
(4)  Go to my D>GeekSquad Data Backup 9-1-19>ProgramData>Adobe>Elements Organizer>Catalogs>My Catalog and double-click on catalog.pse11db file.
(5)  In the PE11 Organizer, click on Manage Catalogs in the File drop down menu.
(6)  Click the radio button 'custom' and enter the path to my catalog -  D>GeekSquad Data Backup 9-1-19>ProgramData>Adobe>Elements Organizer>Catalogs>My Catalog or do I take it one step further by listing one of the files under My Catalog?
(7)  If I get to this point and have not screwed things up, will the catalog be available immediately to all of my photos, or will there be a long downloading period?

Thanks again, Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first and hopefully only thing to do is to plug in your F: drive, to check that the organizer is not running and to double click on on the catalog.pse11db file in the D : drive.

There is absolutely no risk in doing so.

I am pretty sure that the result will be that you'll see the organizer starting and displaying your catalog.

(Even if that does not work, you'll get an error message which should be useful.)

Only after you try that, have a look at my comments to your last post:

(1)  My [C:] SSD is only 256GB and is filling up faster than I would like, so I will not be moving my Catalog file here.  Nor will I move it to my [F:] external HD, but will keep it where it is on my [D:] HDD.
Good, that makes sense.
(2)  I will plug in my [F:] ext. HD with the photos into my laptop.
Yes, you must to that first.
(3)  Do I open PE11 now and click on Organizer, or do I do this later?
No, double clicking will open the organizer for you.
(4)  Go to my D>GeekSquad Data Backup 9-1-19>ProgramData>Adobe>Elements Organizer>Catalogs>My Catalog and double-click on catalog.pse11db file.
Yes!!!
(5)  In the PE11 Organizer, click on Manage Catalogs in the File drop down menu.
This will be for the next time you want to access your catalog.
(6)  Click the radio button 'custom' and enter the path to my catalog -  D>GeekSquad Data Backup
Then, you should not need to do that, the organizer should remember the custom location and open the catalog automatically.
9-1-19>ProgramData>Adobe>Elements Organizer>Catalogs>My Catalog or do I take it one step further by listing one of the files under My Catalog?
No need to do that. Only if you want to manage other catalogs. When you need to manage different catalogs, the menu File >> manage catalogs offers the required buttons.
(7)  If I get to this point and have not screwed things up, will the catalog be available immediately to all of my photos, or will there be a long downloading period?
The only risk is that the catalog does not open, nothing will be changed in the catalog or in the photo files.

I hope other users are interested by your pertinent questions.
I want to stress that my own workflow has much in common with yours. I don't use a SSD, but I want to share the same library and catalog between two desktops 200 miles apart... I have stored both my photo files and the catalog on an external drive which I plug in alternatively depending on my travels.
What should be interesting for you is that I am a bit paranoid about safety. So I do use a second external drive which I keep in sync after each editing session for the photo files. I also do a simple copy of the catalog folder on that secondary drive and also on my internal drive. And you know what? Any of both copies of the catalog do work perfectly with the photo files in the first external drive. Periodically, I create a full backup from the organizer on a third external drive, and my advice is to do the same for your library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why am I not surprised that it isn't working.

After double-clicking catalog.pse11db file in [D:], Organizer opened and I got a window saying something to effect that based on new or modified photos I may not want to back up.  I clicked to backup and it got to a point saying reconnecting to photos in [F:], which seemed OK to me.  The Elements Organizer started writing backup and eventually got stuck for a long time at 69%, then went to 70% before saying something about having a problem with a certain file.  Now the only thing I show in my PE11 Organizer Media are VIDEOS.  Now what do I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"After double-clicking catalog.pse11db file in [D:], Organizer opened and I got a window saying something to effect that based on new or modified photos I may not want to back up."

On the contrary, the message is to prompt you to backup the catalog, which is not yet necessary at this stage. If the catalog was able to start and performed 70% of a backup, that means that you have succeeded in recovering your catalog. I am not surprised if you got a warning about missing files, that may be expected and it's not a big deal if you have only a small proportion of your files missing. It's more annnoying if your backup does not succeed on account of problem files, but your catalog should be working now. Can you work with it, do searches, select tags, albums or subfolders?

- Before seeing the backup issue, first do a search for missing files (menu Find >> All missing files). Are there many missing files?  From the information panel on the right, can you spot where those missing files were expected to be on your computer? It's quite possible that your catalog contained some files not on the F drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appears to me that I have the Catalog for Premier Elements 11, but don't have the Catalog for Photoshop Elements 11.  I've looked around, but don't seem to be able to find a Photoshop Elements Catalog.  Maybe you can give me an idea of where it might be.  I'm thinking I may have to go to my old laptop and find the catalog for Photoshop Elements, ofrmaybe create a catalog backup, copy it to an external HD and downloaded it to my new laptop.

I'll disconnect the [F:] drive from my new laptop and connect it to my old laptop and start a search if you think that is what I may have to do.

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot: if you only see videos, go to the menu View >> by media type and be sure that photos is checked as well as videos.

So, the first thing is still to search for missing files with all types of media selected.

We'll see if you need to reconnect your F drive to the old computer depending on your findings about missing files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Photos" was not checked on the View tab.  Thanks.  I think I am 99% done now!

I pulled up All Missing Files and there are only a few dozen.  Some I have been able to find their path to another folder for photos I may have downloaded from Facebook friends's photos I saved.  Others I believe have the same File name that other photos have, so when I ran the Catalog Backup I believe that it overwrote the catalog for one of the photos with duplicat file names.  I think the Backup said it would do that.  If you have any hints on how I can find the Catalog information for those photos, and advise me what I should do before I backup my Catalog next time to avoid this.

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel - Thanks so much for your help on this.  It seems that everything is working as it should! My "Missing files" post apparently has nothing to do with getting Photoshop Elements 11 installed on my new laptop, but were just photos I had deleted from Photoshop, but had not deleted from my hard drive.

Thanks again, again, and again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am extremely happy with your success in this challenging situation.

As you have discovered, the solution was simpler and faster than what you were expecting to begin with.

You have been wise to be very prudent and to take the time to understand more about how the organizer works.

I think that one important lesson in your experience is that it was easier and faster to move your catalog and library to another computer than using the usual backup and restore method, because your photo files library was already on an external drive.You needed to know how to copy or move a catalog folder, which simply requires your Windows explorer (that is not explained in the help files). That could be a good topic for a video tutorial...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines