• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HEIC - Are they supported in Elements Organizer 17?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do I need to get support for these file types on my iPhone photos? Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using?

I believe Mac supported HEIC files with Elements 2019 (version 17).   Windows support did not start until Elements 2020 (version 18).

See the Windows requirements in this article.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply. I am running W10. I just want to verify, (cause this seems wrong on the part of Adobe) that I need to pay another $80, to be able to use my iPhone photos after recently paying to upgrade to Elements 2019 (version 17)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might find this option useful too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Phinny's link explains, you can set your iPhone to convert your HEIC images to jpeg when they are downloaded from your phone.  This has the advantage of saving storage on your phone but being able to readily use the file on your computer.  However, I have had issues when converting HEVC video to AVC using this method. 

I haven't found any good reason to use HEIC photos on my computer where I have plenty of storage space.   Opinions may differ, but an author I respect believes that the extra compression also degrades the image when compared to a jpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's talk about compression some more (HEIC) but I'll use music for this analogy.  I'm sure you already know that MP3 files take up much less space than uncompressed CD tracks.  That's the whole selling point of MP3 right?  MP3 files are smaller (more efficient).  As well, to take it a step further, you may also know that 160 kbps MP3's take up even less space than 192 kbps MP3's.  Why?  More compression = more efficiency.  But 160 mbps won't sound as good right?.  Think fresh squeezed orange juice vs frozen orange concentrate.  Quality vs efficiency.  Where do YOU want to draw the line with your photos?  There is no right or wrong answer to this question.  It's a values decision and none of my business.  Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I really appreciate all the good advice. That said, while much of it seemed helpful, I finally gave up. I also did a lot of research on the whole HEIC issue. I learned a lot, but not enough to get it to work. When I tried to import/convert the pictures, my PC kept giving the error message that the iPhone was unreachable. I also did a lot of research on this problem. Of course, if I downloaded them in HEIC form. Photoshop Elements 2019 couldn't import them. Ultimately, I gave up and paid for 2020. Having paid for 2 upgrades in 2 years, after having paid for the original version, I would no longer recommend this product. 

FWIW, I also bought a new computer last year and while that move should have been straightforward, it ended up a nightmare, but that is another long story. I ended up losing all my "people" tags.

Unhappy customer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines