Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help - Create an overlay in a group...

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello folks,

I am enrolled in a night course titled Fundamentals of User Experience Design. Sadly, I hardly know how to use Photoshop/Elements as well as I don't understand what he is expecting me to do. My teacher asked: "to create an overlay in a group that outlines any structure of any website silhouette. You can do this with outlines or colored blocks."

Unfortunately I have neither clue a of what he is asking me to do, nor means of reaching out for help within the course. I finally resorted to this amazing forum, seeking insight to help me archiving this task.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

elies87217464  wrote

Hello folks,

I am enrolled in a night course titled Fundamentals of User Experience Design. Sadly, I hardly know how to use Photoshop/Elements as well as I don't understand what he is expecting me to do. My teacher asked: "to create an overlay in a group that outlines any structure of any website silhouette. You can do this with outlines or colored blocks."

Unfortunately I have neither clue a of what he is asking me to do, nor means of reaching out for help within the course. I finally resorted to this amazing forum, seeking insight to help me archiving this task.

I have read and re-read the quote, and I must admit that I don't understand better than you do.

Perhaps a suggestion:  if he means you are working on a photo of a group of persons and you want to make visible a selection of some of those persons, then you may choose to select their contours and make them highlighted or colored, or you may fill the selection with color blocks? That also could be to make a selection visible for other objects rather than persons.

If we agree on that task definition, then you'll get answers on how to:

- select persons or objects with various selection tools

- extract contours and enhance them on a new layer (overlay) (that's called 'feathering')

- or fill the selection with color, add colors or play with transparency, saturation or more to make a contrast for the selection within the image.

Everything above is possible in Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

elies87217464  wrote

. My teacher asked: "to create an overlay in a group that outlines any structure of any website silhouette. You can do this with outlines or colored blocks."

javascript:;

I have read this several times, and perhaps this is what the instructor has in mind.

1. Open a  group shot with several people
  2. Activate the magnetic lasso tool, and make a selection of the group. Once the selection is complete, you should see an outline surrounding the group - "Marching ants"
  3. Place the selection on its own layer  - press CTRL+J. This will be Layer 1
  4. Open a blank layer at the top. This will be Layer 2
  5. With the selection still active (see the marching ants), go to Edit>Stroke(Outline) Selection and place it inside.
  6. Press CTRL+D to get rid of the marching ants.
  7. For demonstration, I reduced the Layer opacity of Layer 1 to 49%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines