• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help me colorise this old photo of my mom using PhotoShop Elements 2020-how do I fix the green hair?

New Here ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased PhotoShop Elements 2020. I started colorising old photos of my parents. With one photo Elements colorised the hair of a few people green - I think the AI mistook it for grass. Is there an easy way to fix it?

Before:

https://imgur.com/1vhU7uM

After:

https://imgur.com/9BpvYEd

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you have made a choice from the 4 offered in the Auto mode, you need to go into the Manual mode of the colorization tool:

Snap10_2019.10.04_22h57m44s_008_.png  

Essentially, you need to use one of the selection tools to select the area you want to change - in this case the green hair.  Once you have a selection, click on the droplet tool and then click on your green hair selection.   You then use the color palette to select a new color for the hair.  If the palette does not provide a suitable color, use the eyedropper to select an existing color pixel in the image.  I recommend zooming in to perform this operation and make sure you are clicking a pixel of the color you are looking for.  This will change the color palette and give you several choices.  Click on the palette and try out the different colors until you find one you like.

I made the following quick edit to your photo.

Colorize photo green to brown hair .jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2019 Oct 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did that in Elements? WOW. I got results no where near that 🙂 Thanks, but I see I need to acquire some more skills.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if my YouTube tutorial helps.

https://youtu.be/lLWs_-czppc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, definitely watch 99Jon's video tutorial for a fuller explanation of the tool.  As I think you have already found, this is a great new feature of Elements 2020 which can not only be used to colorize black and white images but also to easily replace colors in a color photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines