Help me get this specific tint

Participant ,
Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is for an ebook cover. Someone else did this tint:

LikethisTint.png

and I really like it.

I tried to recreate the same tint and gerrymandered around trying a lot of things including levels, midtones, brightness etc etc. In the process I lost some of the sharpness of the waves and the the waves were too white (I lose the overall tint) and my sand is lighter than his. Here's what I did.

NotSatisfiedWtint200X302.png

I have lately been experimenting (I have PE2019) with Layers>NewAdjustmentLayer>PhotoFilter>Ok>"Color" radial button>clicking on color square

and then clicking on the color palette to try to find the guy's tint. I have been unable to even come close.

Here's the color in the original image.

OneSlipOriginalColor200X302.jpg

If anybody can find the right tint and give me a Hex code to enter I would be very appreciative. (Or if you have another way of getting there.) Thanks.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by hatstead | Adobe Community Professional

In order to colorize specific objects vs global colorization, make a selection of the object using one of the tools, e.g. lasso, magnetic lasso, selection brush, and place the object on a new layer (CTRL+J). Then, open a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer above this and link the two layers (CTRL+G).

In the H/S adj. layer dialog, check the "colorize" box, and work the 3 sliders to best advantage.

If necessary, you can sharpen selectively.

You can also change  the blending mode of a given layer, e.g. darken, multiply, color burn, etc. and adjust the layer opacity as well.

The color picker dialog provides a read-out and reflects the sample which you have captured with the eye-dropper.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Help me get this specific tint

Participant ,
Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LikethisTint.png

and I really like it.

I tried to recreate the same tint and gerrymandered around trying a lot of things including levels, midtones, brightness etc etc. In the process I lost some of the sharpness of the waves and the the waves were too white (I lose the overall tint) and my sand is lighter than his. Here's what I did.

I have lately been experimenting (I have PE2019) with Layers>NewAdjustmentLayer>PhotoFilter>Ok>"Color" radial button>clicking on color square

and then clicking on the color palette to try to find the guy's tint. I have been unable to even come close.

If anybody can find the right tint and give me a Hex code to enter I would be very appreciative. (Or if you have another way of getting there.) Thanks.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by hatstead | Adobe Community Professional

In order to colorize specific objects vs global colorization, make a selection of the object using one of the tools, e.g. lasso, magnetic lasso, selection brush, and place the object on a new layer (CTRL+J). Then, open a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer above this and link the two layers (CTRL+G).

In the H/S adj. layer dialog, check the "colorize" box, and work the 3 sliders to best advantage.

You can also change  the blending mode of a given layer, e.g. darken, multiply, color burn, etc. and adjust the layer opacity as well.

The color picker dialog provides a read-out and reflects the sample which you have captured with the eye-dropper.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 15, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BadStar  wrote

LikethisTint.png

and I really like it.

1. Open the image
  2. Activate the Eye dropper tool and sample the "tint" on the image. This will  change the foreground color chip from default color to the sample color.
  3. Now, left click on the foreground color chip and you can read the hex value in the color picker dialog.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 16, 2019 0
Participant ,
Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, hatstead, but I already tried that. For instance, where do you place the color picker? I tried all over and wherever I pick, the tint just seems faint, and it doesn't get the sand darker. What I think I'm missing in mine is the blue tint on the waves. Maybe I'll select the waves and try to tint them, because really, looking at mine, besides that, it's pretty close to the guy's. Appreciate you responding.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 16, 2019 0
Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 17, 2019 2
Participant ,
Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Thanks so much, Hatstead. One little glitch, when I did the inverse selection (because I wanted to keep the bucket red) for the selection, it tinted everything, including the bucket, blue. (I'm sure I did something wrong.) But when I just selected the bucket and followed your instructions I was able to move the bucket layer above the Hue/Saturation layer and it showed up red. I wasn't able to get really close to the color/hue I wanted. I seemed to need more gray, and when I brightened it, it just looked washed-out, but this is definitely what I'm after. I'm going to sleep on this version and I may even like this more than the other in the morning. Thanks for hanging with me on this.

OneSlipHatsteadTint200X302.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 17, 2019 0
Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would seem that we are not in sync as to the work-flow that I proposed to you.

For demonstration, I worked on the picture that you provided in your last post, and in the  area below "one slip" made it green.

Selected the area

Placed same on a new layer (CTRL+J)

Opened a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer above this and linked the 2 layers (CTRL+G). This will confine the change to green with specificity. Clicked the "colorize" box (see red arrow) and worked the hue/saturation/lightness sliders. Nothing is washed out.

I don't know how "inverse selection" pertains here at all.

practice.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 18, 2019 0
BadStar LATEST
Participant ,
Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hatstead.

opDeepinScreenshot_select-area_20190318155631.png

What happens when I follow your workflow with my original image is this:

example.jpg

And I need the bucket to be bright red, so that's why I selected the bucket before I followed your workflow. And so since I wanted to tint everything but the bucket I thought I needed to select the bucket and then do an inverse selection so that only the area outside of the bucket would be tinted.

Regarding the "washed out" comment (my bad) I was referring to trying to get the proper tint of blue and that by using the brightness adjustment (making it brighter) the blue tint turned to a light gray and looked washed out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 18, 2019 0