• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do create superscript and subscript text?

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2014 Jul 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 and would like to add superscript and subscript text to a poster I am designing. The Ctrl + Shift + + shortcut does not work--I found this shortcut with a google search. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Ctrl + Shift + + and also didn't work. Where did you see it?

Anyway, here is a workaround.

Enter the text including the sub- or super-script.

Simplify the text layer.

Use the Rectangular Marquee to select the script.

Activate the Free Transform tool (Ctrl-T). Use the arrow keys to position the script, and optionally resize it as in this example.

Downside is that you cannot edit the text since it has been simplified.

subscript.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the response; this method definitely works! I saw the shortcut on a few different blogs and websites (e.g. PhotoShop superscript text | dtp courses)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing that shortcut applies to Photoshop CS, not Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Superscript and subscript are only available in full Photoshop. You'll have to do it Mark's way in PSE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2014 Aug 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! Thank you!!! After two hours of trying all of the ways that are listed in Adobe help you have solved my problem - it is time consuming when you have a lot of superscripts but at least it works - wonder why it is not part of the elements package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

Thank you for telling us how to add superscript to text. It works. I used your technique today to add a superscript to a graphic that I was added type to,with Elements 13.

I discovered a further workaround while I was doing that. You wrote: "Downside is that you cannot edit the text since it has been simplified." While using your workaround today I discovered that this is not necessarily the case.

Multiple undos are possible, even to the extent of undoing the "Simplify" command (which I had to do several times before I had everything exactly the way I wanted it). Of course, you will have to rebuild whatever you'd done after undoing that simplify command, but even that is better than having to start over again and rebuild the graphic from the beginning. By saving the finished file as a .PSD, I could even do undos after I'd left the file and gone on to do something else. I also saved the finished file as a .JPG so that I'd have something that was easy to work with.

There are all sorts of workarounds in Elements. I like the program a lot -- and there is no monthly subscription required!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 14, 2015 Aug 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than doing a bunch of undo's to get back to the original text layer ( and thus wiping out other changes to your file) you can make a copy of the text layer before simplifying it. Turn off the visibility of the copy layer. Then later if you decide you want to "undo" the change to the super/subscript you can delete that layer and turn on the visibility of the copy text layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider creating the text with sub & super scripts for the poster in a text editor, e.g.WORD.

Save this as a file on disk, then import into the poster which you are creating in PSE, along with graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that Photoshop Elements is great. However, superscript and subscript are essential type formatting capabilities. Please add these to PE ASAP. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that Photoshop Elements is great. However, superscript and subscript are essential type formatting capabilities. Please add these to PE ASAP. 

By @Karen5CE4

You know that you are not speaking to Adobe in this user to user forum?

The volunteers here will be glad to help you if they can, but I suspect they will answer that if Adobe reads your request, Adobe will answer "Please upgrade to the full Photoshop - ASAP"

Elements is primarily a photo editor or drawing tool;  as suggested by @hatstead , there are ways to import formatted text from your preferred word processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Karen5CE4, if you want to file a feature request, Adobe has a form to do so.  Click here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines