• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I manually bring my catalog from elements 7 into elements 2014

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Photoshop Elements 7 for years and on several computers over those years (All Windows systems).  My antivirus is telling me it is a vunerablility.  So I purchased and downloaded Photoshop Elements 2021.  When it asked the question about making my catalog compatible with 2021, I said later because I didn't know if it would over write the old one.  Now I want to bring it in because I have learned reading these posts that it doesn't over write it.  On Elements 7 Organizer I have 21 albums and 2,456 pictures. 

I can see two places where catalogs are saved in Win 10 but the size is small and can't contain 2456 pictures.  Elements 7 Organizer: c:\programdata\adobe\photoshopelements\catalog\mycatalog.   Size:  12.1 mb; catche: 99.3  System:  Vista (I have no idea where that comes from.  I have never had Vista.  I brough it over from my last computer:  Win 8.1 and I forget the one before that.  Never Win 7 and never Vista.) 

For Elements 2021 Organizer: c:\programdata\adobe\elementsorganizer\catalog\mycatalog2.  (I named it catalog 2 during installation because I didn't know if it was going to over write.)  size:  129 kb  Catche: 233.9 kb system Win 10.  I want all the pictures in the ablums I had in Elements 7.

My computer is a Dell and it has two drives:  C which is a normal drive and where programs are saved, and D which is a SSD where my files, pictures, etc. are saved.  I have a file D\documents\mypictures  where a lot of my pictures are located but it only says 248 items.  There are quite a few sub folders within that main folder but I don't know in total if I come close to 2,456 pictures.

Please tell me how to proceed to bring in all the photos in the albums.  Please, Please, Please.

Questions:  1) In Elements 2021 will the pictures be in the albums I set up in Elements7?   2) How do I get the albums, pictures, etc. into Elements 2021 now that everthing is installed?

TOPICS
How to , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The heading should say  How do I manually bring my catalog from elements 7 into elements 2021.  Sorry for the confusion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you need to do is convert the old catalog, wherever that is on your computer. 

Go to File>Manage Catalogs.  In the dialogs that open:

1. Click on the Convert button
  2. Click on the Find More Catalogs button
  3. Navigate to the folder containing the database file and select it.
  4. Click on the Convert button in the second dialog (which is greyed out in my screenshot).

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.12.01_18h08m42s_002_.png

If the conversion is successful, all of your Albums should be present.

However, it is not clear how or when your photos were transfered over to your current computer.  If Elements 7 was working on your current computer, there should be no problem.  However, if you have transferred the files over (without usinga a backup/restore operation), there may be some other issues with how the database finds the files.

And just to be clear, Elements is a database program.  Your catalog does not contain copies of your photo files.  They remain wherever they are stored on your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  It did import what looks to be all or most of my pictures.  Even those I may have deleted at one time or moved to another folder.  BUT, I don't see any albums that all these pictures would have been assigned to.  Do I have to manually set up 21 albums and put 2,456 pictures into them?  There is a "+" next to "my albums" on the left side.  If I click on it it gives me the option of "import albums from file".  If that is not part of the catalog I just converted where would it be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard my last question.  I see  in this version (2021) they are called folders not albums.  Albums are empty but folders have all my pictures in them and are actually what Elements 7 called my albums.  I am happy as a Lark.  It will just take a while to get use to the different formatting.

Once last question -- I tried to open Photo Editor on my new downloaded Photoshop Elements 2021.  It asked me to sing in and then a popup appeared with "The monitor profile "DELL S2340M Color Profile, D65" appears to be defective. Please rerun your monitor calibration software."  I opened "devices and printers" in the control panel.  I double clicked on the device and selected hardware.  It said the device was working properly.  I right clicked on the device and clicked on trouble shoot.  It said no trouble detected.  Why did I get this error message?  And if it is defective, how do I run the monitor calibration software and where is it located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, but I haven't used Elements 7 in a looooong time so don't remember how folders/albums were named or presented.  I see that Elements 12 calls albums Local Albums. In any event, if you have not already found it, the Folders panel has two different views.  I suggest you use the Tree View which presents a tree similar to Windows File Explorer.  The List View presents the folders in alpha-numeric order, no matter which drive the folder is stored on.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.13_11h14m43s_002_.png

 As for your monitor calibration question, I suggest that you start a new discussion with an appropriate title so that it gets some attention from somebody who may be able to answer it.  I just did a quick Google, and it looks like the profile is not supported by Win 10.  I have no idea why Elements would throw up the error.  You may also want to ask on the Dell community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines