• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I remove shadows off face only - not the rest of the picture?

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2007 Feb 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering how to remove shadows in Adobe Elements 5 from a specific area, and not hurt the whole picture? The other shadows are wanted, but, say a branch was putting a line shadow across a face, how do you remove it and have the whole face the same color? This is a black and white photo.
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:
Duplicate your background layer.
Choose the dodge tool and choose the shadows option. Set the exposure level to around 20%.
Select a brush with a soft edge.
Now paint with the dodge tool on the new layer over the areas you want to lighten.
Experiment with different brushes, exposures and so on.

Bob Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcy,

Another option is to use the clone tool.
Place a new layer above the background copy layer. Be sure that the box "use all layers" in the clone tool dialog is checked. Then do the Cloning on this layer. You can adjust the opacity of the layer if necessary.

The spot healing brush tool is also useful in relation to relatively small areas that need correction.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2007 Jun 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this work well with both 2.0 & 5.0?

Kasper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2007 Jun 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way to lightn a face in shadows in 3 and 5 is to use shadow/highlights - select the face using the lasso tool, I usually feather the selection anywhere from 10 - 40 pix depending on what I'm working with.

CR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2007 Jun 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott Kelby's book "Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 Collection" has a section on "Removing hot spots" (bright shiny spots on peoples faces) which involves setting the clone stamp tool blend mode to darken. This helps preserve some of the original texture of the area being modified rather than just going over the top of it in normal mode. Since your problem is basically the converse of this, you might have some success with the clone stamp tool set to "lighten".

As Ken mentioned, it is a good idea to create a new layer before starting to use the clone tool so that you can use the opacity slider to reduce the effect should you happen to overdo the treatment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way:
1. Create new layer, set its blend mode to Overlay.
2. Set foreground color to white.
3. With Brush tool and soft brush with low opacity (15-50%), incrementally paint or dab over shadow.

For subtler changes, use Soft Light in step 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kasper,
> Does this work well with both 2.0 & 5.0?

Basic stuff like Dodge, Clone, Brush, opacity, etc. should work in all versions (I would hope!!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another way that is flexible.... allows you to go back and forth adding subtracting shadow as needed.

Find the darkest area of shadow

Make a loose selection around it with the lasso tool. Dont try to get to the edges just a sample that represents the darkest shadow.

Now apply a fairly large feather to the selectionjust so the edges blend.

With the selection active open a levels adjustment layer.

Watch your selected area and move the center slider until the area brightens as needed.

Now set your foreground color to white

Choose a soft brush

Reduce the brush opacity to around 20 percent

Click on the levels adjustment layers mask to make it active

Now on your picture paint the shadow out as needed. The lower opacity brush allows you to build the effect slowly giving control.

If you lighten too muchjust change your brush color to black and paint the shadow back in.

Often with this procedure you will have problems right at the edges or transition just get it close then use a healing brush and click on the transition to blend it.
If you still have problems use the clone tool with the opacity set to 15 or so to finish blending.

If the color of the shadow area shifts... then change the adjustment layers mode to luminosity

Butch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2007 Jun 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A slight refinement of Mark's method is to fill the new top layer with neutral grey rather than having it transparent. This is an option if you Alt-click the "new layer" icon and select "Overlay" mode.

As well as being able to lighten shadows by painting with a white brush as Mark explained, you have the additional option of darkening other areas by painting with a black brush.

I should acknowledge that this is another tip I picked up from Scott Kelby's book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 09, 2007 Jun 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sanders1,
I've seen references to neutral (50%) grey before but never understood its significance. Edit>Fill has the 50% Gray option so it must be something important! What exactly does it buy you in this case? I tried using both a blank layer and a neutral gray layer but don't see much of a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2007 Jun 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,
Using the neutral grey gives the option of lightening some areas and darkening others using the same layer, just by changing your brush colour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 10, 2007 Jun 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sanders1,
> Using the neutral grey gives the option of lightening some areas and darkening others using the same layer, just by changing your brush colour.

But I can do the same thing with just a blank layer set to Overlay, and the results seem to be identical. What am I missing?

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Mark, you appear to be right that one can get the effect of being able to either darken or lighten at will using a transparent layer. Which loads one to ask why the 50% grey technique evolved.

Perhaps there are some conditions under which there is a difference. Somewhere I once found a mathematical description of exactly what the various blending modes (including "overlay") do. If I find it again I will try to figure out if there are circumstances where painting black or white on a 50% grey top layer would have a different result from a transparent top layer. Either that or hope that one of our resident experts will be able to resolve the question for us :-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken and Bob -A quick question - why do you recommend duplicating the background layer and working with that? Why not not just clone and/or dodge in the primary background layer and undo if you don't like the results? Thanks

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,
Having worked with this program since v.1, I have found it to be efficient to always work with the background copy layer for 3 reasons:
1. If I am unhappy with the way things are going, I have the option delete the layer(s) and start over again, without having to reopen the picture file.
2. Some commands don't work on a locked layer. The copy layer takes care of this impediment.
3. In case I need to, I can place a layer beneath the copy layer. With the layers palette open, one can re-stack the layers as desired.
Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this work when using Elements 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

rosehuston said:
Does this work when using Elements 10?

There are several techniques discussed in this thread.  They should all work in Elements 10. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines