Highlighted

How do I remove shadows off face only - not the rest of the picture?

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering how to remove shadows in Adobe Elements 5 from a specific area, and not hurt the whole picture? The other shadows are wanted, but, say a branch was putting a line shadow across a face, how do you remove it and have the whole face the same color? This is a black and white photo.
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How do I remove shadows off face only - not the rest of the picture?

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering how to remove shadows in Adobe Elements 5 from a specific area, and not hurt the whole picture? The other shadows are wanted, but, say a branch was putting a line shadow across a face, how do you remove it and have the whole face the same color? This is a black and white photo.
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 19, 2007 0
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:
Duplicate your background layer.
Choose the dodge tool and choose the shadows option. Set the exposure level to around 20%.
Select a brush with a soft edge.
Now paint with the dodge tool on the new layer over the areas you want to lighten.
Experiment with different brushes, exposures and so on.

Bob Warren

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2007 0
Engaged ,
Feb 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcy,

Another option is to use the clone tool.
Place a new layer above the background copy layer. Be sure that the box "use all layers" in the clone tool dialog is checked. Then do the Cloning on this layer. You can adjust the opacity of the layer if necessary.

The spot healing brush tool is also useful in relation to relatively small areas that need correction.

Ken

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2007 0
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this work well with both 2.0 & 5.0?

Kasper

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2007 0
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way to lightn a face in shadows in 3 and 5 is to use shadow/highlights - select the face using the lasso tool, I usually feather the selection anywhere from 10 - 40 pix depending on what I'm working with.

CR

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2007 0
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott Kelby's book "Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 Collection" has a section on "Removing hot spots" (bright shiny spots on peoples faces) which involves setting the clone stamp tool blend mode to darken. This helps preserve some of the original texture of the area being modified rather than just going over the top of it in normal mode. Since your problem is basically the converse of this, you might have some success with the clone stamp tool set to "lighten".

As Ken mentioned, it is a good idea to create a new layer before starting to use the clone tool so that you can use the opacity slider to reduce the effect should you happen to overdo the treatment.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2007 0