• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change the drive letter that PS Organiser finds photos.

Explorer ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have imported into the catalogue a USB drive. It imported it from USB E: (PSO 2021)

How do I make it see the files from another letter say G:  

I have read about backing up and moving catalogues. But I dont really understand. Or maybe I do but I dont want to move forward without confirmation.

I have done a backup NOT FULL including pictures, just the tags and other basic data. (too big to backup pictures and thats not want Im trying to do.)

I have manually changed the USB Drive Letter from E to G in diskmanager.  Win 10.

I go to the Organizer and set the restore from location, then I can choose to restore to:

This is where I'm stopped. Do I just choose the new location G: drive and say OK.

My concern is that this drive has all my good pictures.  I dont want any thing to be overwritten or photos added. Im just trying to get PSO to understand that the pictures are not on drive E: but are now on drive G: , which is acturally the exact same drive, and all the pictues are in exacly the same place other than the drive letter.

Im sure Adobe is not reading this, but I have had this probem with my previous verion of PS which was probably 10+ years ago and it is for me the most frustrating thing about PS. Its a hog on the cpu and lost files and finding files only adds to this issue. They need and option to change the drive letter of the catalogue listing to the exact drive but differnt drive letter. 

Any way, I digress.

Do I just click on G: drive and say ok and it will automatically move its Understanding of E: to G: with no changes to pictures etc. and files.

????

Thanks.

TOPICS
Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you have all of your photos on an external drive, is that correct?

When you imported those photos to your catalog, the drive was assigned the letter E.

You have now changed it in Windows to G.  WHY????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have imported into the catalogue a USB drive. It imported it from USB E: (PSO 2021)

How do I make it see the files from another letter say G:  

I have read about backing up and moving catalogues. But I dont really understand. Or maybe I do but I dont want to move forward without confirmation.

I have done a backup NOT FULL including pictures, just the tags and other basic data. (too big to backup pictures and thats not want Im trying to do.)

By @ccm288

Hi @ccm288 ,

In your other post, we have started to explain how Windows and the organizer catalog identify your different external drives. We have to concentrate on the fact that the catalog can find and manage files because it has a link to the location (drive and path) of each media file.

Imagine you have your media files on drive E and you make a strict copy of the media files folders on drive G. The internal serial numbers are also different. You now plug in only G instead of E on your computer. The organizer searches drive E and does not find it. No way to access any file. All your media files are shown as missing or disconnected.

You want to tell the organizer to search each file on G instead on E. In practice, that means editing all links to all files in the catalog to point to drive G plus the folder path of the original drive. The organizer has a tool to find all missing files (it creates a list of all those missing files). Then it has a tool to process each missing file and compare it with other files on your computer. The reconnect missing files process ignores if the folder path of each file has been kept in the new G drive. The process has to be guided by yourself. You guide the search to the right folder on G, and the process is smart enough to find a whole folder when one is found. However, with a big library, you'll have to guide the process for many folders, which will be very long. That's what is available in Elements Organizer.

There is no reconnecting command to tell that only the drive is different, the path being the same. That function is available in Lightroom only. There is no way to 'update' the 'catalog.pseXXdb' database directly for normal users, you would need to master sqlite database management tools and functions. I think that Adobe could provide such a tool for the organizer but with a number of constraints not acceptable for average users.

So, if reconnecting in the organizer is not practical, how could backup and restore process help in moving from letter to letter, that is from drive to drive?

That suggestion in your other post describes a very frequent situation where you have to move to a new computer. As a matter of fact, the process works to move your catalog with your files from a drive to another or even from a master folder to another. It works not only to move, but to copy the catalog with the files elsewhere.

If you don't do a full backup, but a catalog backup without the media files, you are only protected against the loss or corruption of the catalog folder. And that requires that your media files are still on the same location, same drive.

So, you can easily backup your files from E and restore to G. The restore will create a copy of all your files plus a copy of the catalog folder with all links updated to the new G location. You are free to keep the catalog folder there or to move it to the default hidden location on C.

Backup and restore is not the only solution to move your media file tree from E to G.

In the organizer left panel in tree mode, you can move your whole media folder tree from E to G by simple drag and drop. Of course, that will take time. For safety, I would not do that without a backup first. But that works and the links in the catalog will be updated to the new location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines