• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to disable annoying "snap to"- "magnetic" feature?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2009 Nov 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With PSE 6 on OS X , I have the problem that whenever I want to  alter the crop feature selection, it annoyingly wants to know better than me and snaps to the borders of the picture - but I just want to cut off some pixels. Which is simply impossible. This had not been the case with PSE 2. 

Is there any way to turn off this "snap to"-feature? "Snap to grid" and "Snap to guides" are disabled. 

Ah, and another one: How can I make an automatic selection of the complete content of a specific layer? Under PSE 2, this worked well in the Layer preview screen, now the feature has vanished.

Thanks for any help!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 23, 2009 Nov 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try holding in the Command key as you move near the edge of a document while cropping.

Edit: Not sure what you mean about the layer preview screen. I have PSE2 on my old XP...just relooked and didn't see any feature like that.

Edit: If you mean that you can't load a layer's selection by command clicking on the layer's name in the layers palette, you now have to command click on the layer's thumbnail in the layers palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2009 Nov 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Command wouldn't work; it snaps anyway.

As for selection (I meant the layer palette, sorry) I will try that.

Thanks for the quick answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2009 Dec 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, selction doesn't work with key combinations either. I must say I am quite upset that adobe cut down essential, though simple, functions they had already integrated in PSE2.

Not such a good product promotion indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First enable viewing the grid in View>Grid, then you can uncheck Snap to Grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, still no change. It snaps right before the border of the available space to the border.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I don't know why it's not working for you, but you can also fix it by setting the grid to a very tiny size so that it can't jump very far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2010 Dec 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using PSE8 with OS 10.6, and I experience the exact same problem.  I've disabled "snap to," but to no avail.  I did not experience this with an older version of PSE.  It is immensely frustrating. In a similar manner PSE8 often will not allow me to position things precisely where I want them, instead it will "auto-align" them.  Very annoying.  Thus far I have discovered no setting or preference to overcome this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 10, 2010 Dec 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it that your taking about the Select Layer Transparency command

in the pse2 layers palette?

pse2load-selection.png

To illustrate the points Terri and Barbara wrote:

Command-Click (on a two button mouse, thats left -click) on the layer thumbnail

in the layers palette to load the layers transparency (selection).

cmd-click.jpg

Holding down the command key while cropping should override the snap to edges.

cmd-drag.jpg

MTSTUNER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THis has been really annoying me too!!!

It is a bug that needs to be fixed, but for the time being you can go into the second full screen mode and it doesn't happen. Just press 'TAB' and your tools will come back to the screen and you can work normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you having trouble with?

Which version of photoshop elements and operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, this is super annoying. My workaround... For example, let's say you want to crop a fine line off the top of the image.

1. With crop tool, select entire image
  2. Using the keyboard down arrow, nudge the crop area down to where you want the top crop to be
  3. Grab bottom "handle" to snap up to bottom of image

Hope that's helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that none of these answers resolved the problem for me.

To disable the snapping feature in Illustrator, I opened the 'view' tab and unchecked the 'smart guides' feature.

I will never understand software engineering's obsession with autoformattng features. They are ridiculously unhelpful and strangely difficult to disable.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. Still doesn't work.. the same problem still exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this thread is old, but I thought I would post my solution/workaround in case it would help someone.

None of the recommendations here worked for me.  In the end, it had nothing to do with "Snap to" features and grid for me.  Here is what worked for me:

1) Selected the crop tool and selected the entire image

2) Zoomed in (View -> Zoom In) on the photo to 200%

3) Now, I dragged the crop tool adjuster square for what I wanted to slightly adjust, and no annoying snapping and was able to place the crop exaactly where I wanted it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines