• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to filter photos by file type (JPG or RAW) in Elements Organizer?

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! 

I recently upgraded to Adobe Elements 2021 and (finally!) decided to make use of Organizer to manage my photo media. Most of my photos are in both, JPG and RAW format. Both versions appear next to each other on the Organizer grid.

However, I consider that filtering out one of the two formats would be convenient and helpful in some workflows, but I can not find the feature in Organizer. Media Type selector in View may just select media by types regardless of the respective file formats.

So: is there a way to selectively monitor stacks of just JPG or just RAW photos in Elements Organizer?

Kind regards,

Anton  

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

is there a way to selectively monitor stacks of just JPG or just RAW photos in Elements Organizer?

Unfortunately, no. As you have seen it's possible to select raw from jpeg if the files are NOT in stacks or version sets.

If they are not, you create a smart search (a query) to search by file name:

- file name containing .jpg

or

file name containing jpeg

for my raws:

file name containing CR2

or

file name containing RAF

If the files are in stacks or version sets, the search will show the whole

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a way to selectively monitor stacks of just JPG or just RAW photos in Elements Organizer?

Unfortunately, no. As you have seen it's possible to select raw from jpeg if the files are NOT in stacks or version sets.

If they are not, you create a smart search (a query) to search by file name:

- file name containing .jpg

or

file name containing jpeg

for my raws:

file name containing CR2

or

file name containing RAF

If the files are in stacks or version sets, the search will show the whole stack and display the small icon showing if the file 'matches' the criteria or not.

You can't make a further search to select either raw or jpeg without removing from stack or version set.

Edit:

This limitation is not new:

https://johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#_Searches_are_showing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a couple of ways that I can think of:

• Go to Find>by Filename (or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+K.  Enter a file extension such as .jpg or .arw.
  • Go to File>By Details (Metadata) and create a Search e.g. using Filetype is jpeg.  (I just tried searching for Camera Raw), but that also returned jpg files.  Not sure why.  A jpeg search worked well.  You can save the search criteria for later use.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.21_00h15m06s_009_.png

If you are not already aware, there is an option in Preferences to automatically stack jpeg/raw files when you import from a camera or card reader.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.21_00h20m12s_010_.png

Added:  Michel is of course correct about stacked images, but I assumed that yours were not stacked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Greg_S. 

Let's take one of the 'use cases' where you want a search resulting in only raws being selected so that you can delete them or move them elsewhere for archival purpose.

You'll have to unstack or to convert to individual items. Such choice can't be undone. If you are able to work on a catalogue copy without creating any change for the original catalog, there are things you can do. From the catalog copy you can create a full backup and restore on another drive or folder. You can select only raws or jpegs and either delete or move the selection. Nothing will be changed in your original catalog or library and the stacks/version sets will active; no risk of deleting files. The process can be seen as an 'export' while keeping all catalog info except stacks/version sets and while keeping the folder structure. However that will take time and I am reluctant to advise that to beginners with the organizer.

For me, the most important workflow choice is about shooting either raw only or raw + jpeg. I absolutely don't want raw + jpeg. I also absolutely choose to edit all raws to jpeg in version sets and to keep them together in the same folder.

Imagine I want to create a 'light' version of my catalog and library without the bulky raws to store in the 'Cloud'. I can use the process above. A variant would be to create a backup and restore and, since all my version sets are edited jpegs, to 'flatten' all version sets. (That would not remove only raws but also big tiffs or psds).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichelBParis, Greg_S.,

thank you very much for your prompt and valuable response.

I must say that I had to jump much deeper in Organizer in order to start understanding your answers. Your help is well exceeding what I expected from my post and exactly what I needed. First of all, it seems clear that I have to extend my understanding of Organizer as a tool that allows structuring of contents in order to simplify and speed up the retrivals to a complete tool for mastering the whole post exposition life of a photo. 

My question might be relevant as in the computer world file selection by filename extension is an elementary function. However, now I am aware that the decision to put my photo media base into Organizer implies also to re-think my workflow. The starting point may well be the decision of shooting raw or jpeg. Since I learned the value of raw I strictly shoot both: jpg as a monitor and reference to what may Fuji cameras can do from my shots, and raw as the negative (the most complete original) for eternal and best possible photo creation. I am not able to decide before shooting whether jpg would do. I also hardly discard any shot that is at least technicaly acceptable. So I have no choice but to keep and manage both, jpgs and raws. 

Before Organizer I kept a simple computer duplicated repository of media files on external USB disks with folders named by date of creation. My stacks were extra folders, named by the purpose or contents. My version sets vere realised by naming the files starting with original filenames as coming out od camera and by respectively extending them with version numbers and letters following a pre-defined structure. Simple, but not very handy once the files volume growed to over 200.000. In this light, sorting files is what I made great use of.

My question arrised because in Organizer large preview grid view you have to "guess" which of the files is raw and which is jpg. The preview showing filenames seem to me to small and hardly usable. The filetype is important, because from Organizer you can not initiate a jpg edit in ACR. So, I thought that for this purpose filtering by file extension would be nice to have. I think Organizer could have the option to label the grid previews with transparent text in stead of diminishing the previews to half the size in order to present respective filenames.

Some reference points to your answers:

- I am aware of automatic stacking but at least at my actual underctanding this is not what I would need

- quick tries of Find - by Filename and by Detailes (Metadata) for extensions .JPG and .RAF  are giving resuls, however for the moment I do not have any version set to see how they are processed by search 

- creation of "light" versions of catalogue could be a challenge, so I'll definitely think about it

Anyhow, thank you again. I have a feeling that I would soon seek for further help... 

Kind regards,

Anton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to complete the picture:  I also shoot in jpg+raw.   I find it useful to have a readily available jpg for sharing on social media or via email, or for use in other programs that do not accept raw files.  Of course, it is fairly easy to convert a raw file to jpg, but sometimes I don't want to go through that process.  I have plenty of storage space on my computer so that isn't an issue for me. 

This thread has reminded me about a number of issues with stacks.  I may use this as an opportunity to make some feature requests to Adobe.  Among the features I would like to see are:

• The ability to stack jpg+raw files from sources other than a memory card
  • The ability to decide on whether the jpg or raw file sits on top of a stack
  • The ability of a search to display only the requested file and not the rest of the stack in which it sits.

I won't hold my breath for any changes to be made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread has reminded me about a number of issues with stacks.  I may use this as an opportunity to make some feature requests to Adobe.  Among the features I would like to see are:

• The ability to stack jpg+raw files from sources other than a memory card
  • The ability to decide on whether the jpg or raw file sits on top of a stack
  • The ability of a search to display only the requested file and not the rest of the stack in which it sits.

I agree with the first two requests,  especially with the second one.

I thought my previous answer explained why the third one will never happen. That will never happen because the initial choice for the architecture of the catalog was to manage searches and selection as well as albums by searching for stacks or version sets instead of by individual files, then displaying the matching status. The way stacks and version sets are implemented in the database structure does not allow direct searches and I don't see how that could be changed without a drastic change which would change totally the way catalogs are working now.

What is extremely interesting in the current discussion is that I am just realizing that some workarounds based on duplicating catalogs or using the backup and restore process as a first non-destructive step for a new search after getting rid of the stacks/version sets could be worth the trouble in a number of circumstances. Many thanks for that, @Tone42  !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to complete the picture: I also shoot in jpg+raw. I find it useful to have a readily available jpg for sharing on social media or via email, or for use in other programs that do not accept raw files. Of course, it is fairly easy to convert a raw file to jpg, but sometimes I don't want to go through that process. I have plenty of storage space on my computer so that isn't an issue for me.

There is no single good answer for that choice.

Reasons to shoot raw + jpeg:

- sharing on social media: I am not fan of social media but if needed, I always have my smartphone for sharing. My Fuji can convert after the shot with all possible options before displaying from the SD card to an appropriate device. I don't have a laptop nor a tablet, so, anyway I can quickly batch convert a shooting session on my desktop before sharing.

- The jpeg rendition of the camera is better or will be a reference. That was true when I started shooting raw, no longer so.

Reasons not to shoot raw and jpeg:

- I hate the automatic stacking solution. I only work with version sets (the old silver negative plus positive process...) and I often create different versions for different purposes.

- I always create a full size jpeg output as the top of file. That works like the 'previews' in LR. Browsing is faster compared with browsing raws even on high res displays. The above discussed choice of searching by stacks/version set is a speed advantage there. If I don't want to keep the raw (digital negative) I flatten version sets, since those jpegs are the top of set.

- I ended having to delete the jpegs stacked automatically, which takes too much time.

- Disk space is not the only factor for avoiding too many files in your catalog: it requires more thumbnails, more xmp files. I was surprised to see how faster a simple copy of the catalog folder (without the thumbnail cache) was if I did not include the xmp files for face recognition. That is dependent on the number of files, not on their size.

- for @Tone42 I have always used the 'detailed view' instead of the 'adaptative view' to browse the thumbnails. The background grey shade and the collapse/expand icon show me at first sight if it's a stack, verson set or single view. I have created a 'smart search' query to scan periodically if a number of raw file have not yet been converted ('developed') to jpeg on top of the stack or set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just came across this thread as I am installing PSE(2019) on a second computer and I have been stacking JPEG+RAW images on import.  However, as I now need to import those images from their shared file folder I do nt have the option to stack JPEG+RAW on this second computer.

Why am I not sharing a catalog for both systems?  That's another topic ... the images are stored on the C drive of my desktop system, so the catalog will contain those file names, but when network shared to the second (laptop) system, the drive letter (and path) is different, so the catalog is useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines