• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to manage that two PC's share the same catalog?

Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop elements Organiser 15

Windows 10

I have Photoshop elements installed on two different PC's

When I start the organiser on PC2 it is obviously not the same as on PC1 (For instance I have to re-tag the same persons names)

How can I manage that my two PC's share the same catalog

I tried to instal my catalogs on the cloud (OneDrive) but apparently they are different

How to arrange that?

Thank you for the help.

daniel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danielschellmus  wrote

Photoshop elements Organiser 15

Windows 10

I have Photoshop elements installed on two different PC's

When I start the organiser on PC2 it is obviously not the same as on PC1 (For instance I have to re-tag the same persons names)

How can I manage that my two PC's share the same catalog

I tried to instal my catalogs on the cloud (OneDrive) but apparently they are different

How to arrange that?

Thank you for the help.

daniel

The only way to share between two computers is to store both your catalog folder and your image files folder tree on an external drive that you plug in alternatively to each computer.

The best way is to create a full backup of your catalog (from the catalog manager), preferably on an external drive. Then you plug in another external drive as the destination drive, and restore on that drive on a new master folder under the root folder. Be sure to set the external drive with the same drive letter in Windows. That could work with a single drive for the backup and the restore, but it's not ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I did a full back up of the catalog on External Hard Disk 1 : HD1

However I don't understand why you propose to use two HD-s so why do you prpose to restore on HD 2

I could use HD1 on the other PC...

Thanks for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danielschellmus  wrote

Hello

I did a full back up of the catalog on External Hard Disk 1 : HD1

However I don't understand why you propose to use two HD-s so why do you prpose to restore on HD 2

I could use HD1 on the other PC...

Thanks for the help

Beware that a backup folder from the organizer is not a simple copy of your photo files and your catalog, it is a folder that can only be used by the 'Restore' function of the organizer.

So, typically, you have an external drive to share your library and catalog, plus another one as a backup.

You could create your backup folder in an external drive and restore to a new master folder in the same drive, but that would be much slower. There are also risks of confusion between the backup folder, the newly created catalog folder and the photo library master folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Things are getting much clearer now.

In short:

HD1: contains all my photos, I performed the Backup Catalog on a folder in HD1.

HD2: is empty and waits for the Restore Catalog, as you advised

However I have again two questions

1- You mentioned that both HD's should have the same letter . Why is that important? My HD1 on which I created the catalog BU and on which I have my photos, has the letter I:   namely My Passport_20170(I:) .  I don't know why... because there is only C and I

My HD 2 on which I shall perform the Restore , has the letter D:, which is what one should expect. Namely My Passport(D:)

2- After the Restore Catalog operation, Which HD shall I use on te other computer HD1 or HD2. If I understand well HD1 and then HD2 will be a simple safety BU.

Thanks for the precious help

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I have not been clear.

When you use two external drives at the same time, obviously they must have two different drive letters. That is the situation when you restore from the backup drive to the autonomous destination one.

Your catalog holds the identification of the drive for each file. When you plug in the drive alternatively on both computers, you read the same location information from the catalog database. For instance, if it works with the letter D: in one computer and you plug in the external drive into the second computer, the information will be false is the drive is recognized as I: and the files may be shown as 'missing' or 'disconnected'.

In other words, to plug in alternatively the external drive in two different computers, the drive letter should be the same with both computers.

Fortunately, you can assign a new drive letter in Windows. Since Windows tends to assign different letters based on the devices already plugged in, it is recommended to assign letters farther in the alphabet, for instance the letter I: rather than the letter D:

If you don't know how to change the drive letter, please state your Windows version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Things are getting more and more clear!

However I have still one question:

At the present moment I did a "Backup Catalog" on HD1 which contains also all my pictures

When I shall do the "Restore Catalog" on HD2 , I guess the catalog AND the pictures will come from source HD1 and will be copied on HD2.

At the end what will be the procedure on PC2?

- I guess, both PC1 AND PC2 should use one HD only

- Shall I work from HD1 or HD2?

Thank you for the reply

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danielschellmus  wrote

Hello,

Things are getting more and more clear!

However I have still one question:

At the present moment I did a "Backup Catalog" on HD1 which contains also all my pictures

When I shall do the "Restore Catalog" on HD2 , I guess the catalog AND the pictures will come from source HD1 and will be copied on HD2.

Exactly.

At the end what will be the procedure on PC2?

When the restored has beed performed, the drive with the backup folder is no longer needed for the process (still useful as a backup anyway). By the way, the restore command can be issued from one computer or the other.

Now, you have to tell each of your computers where the catalog is situated.

You plug in the first one and you have two ways:

- you use the menu File >> Manage catalogs, 'Open' button, and you have to click on the 'custom' radio button and to browse to the catalog on the external drive. The catalog is recognized and should be shown next time in the 'custom' location without browsing.

- it may be simpler, with the organizer closed, to double click on the 'catalog.pse16db' file in the catalog folder; that opens the organizer directly with the restored catalog. That custom location is saved as in the above process.

Same process to have the second computer recognize the catalog on the hard drive.

The big advantage is that any task you have performed with one computer is immediately available when you plug the external drive to the other computer.

The possible slight disadvantage may be that external drives may be a little slower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am now almost ready to proceed (I have 25k pics)

You mentioned that files , media and catalog should best be on a master folder under the root folder.

On HD1 my files are in a sub-sub-folder

How can I move them to a master folder directly under the root folder.

I guess I cannot move the whole just like that by copying files from the sub-sub folder of HD1 to the root folder of HD1

Can I use the BU Catalog for that inside HD1

or Should I first restore catalog from HD1 to HD2 and then restore catalog from HD2 to the root folder of HD1

Thanks again

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danielschellmus  wrote

Hello

I am now almost ready to proceed (I have 25k pics)

You mentioned that files , media and catalog should best be on a master folder under the root folder.

On HD1 my files are in a sub-sub-folder

Daniel

On your HD1 with the backup folder, the only important thing is that the backup is NOT in the root folder; it can be on any other folder or subfolder location. It's just easier and more obvious if that folder is just under the root. So, you have nothing special to do.

When you start the restore process from HD1 to HD2, you are prompted to specify the location of the backup folder and the destination folder in the HD2.

The destination folder in HD2 should not be the root folder, so it's recommended to create a new empty folder just under the root (such as 'Myphotos') so that you can choose it when you start the restore process.

In other words, no need to move anything, just create the empty destination folder before starting the restore process. If you don't create it before, you have to specify and create the empty folder during the process, but many users do skip that creation. That results in a restore in the root folder wich is a source of many problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Michel,

As you mention that it is better to have the catalog in a direct subfolder of the root, shall I start by moving the catalog of HD1 to a daughter subfolder of the root HD1. it is presently in a grand-grand-daughter folder and might possibly cause problems later (?)

And if I want to proceed to this operation on HD1, can I do it diectly IN HD1 without passing by a transition HD. I guess I have then to create a new Backup Catalog in a direct daughter Subfolder of the root. In other words I cannot move the catalog by copy and paste I guess.

Another correlated question: when you move your catalog do you have also to move the media? And vice-versa, when you move the media, do you have to re-create the catalog by backup-restore afterwards.

Does the  catalog need to be in the same folder as the media?

I am sorry to ask you so manty questions but the Help page about folders 'managing catalogs...'

in https://helpx.adobe.com/elements-organizer/user-guide.html

Elements Organizer Help | Elements Organizer User Guide

doesn't say  really much!

Many thanks again

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have now done all the procedure which you described

Made a backup catalog on HD1

restore catalog on HD2

When I plug in HD2 in PC1 / Manage Catalog : Browse /  OK

When I plug HD2 in PC2 / Manage Catalog / Browse

I have a message : Could not open the catalog. Internal programming error.

I tried several times but it's always the same error.

Thank you for the help

Best
Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danielschellmus  wrote

Hello,

I have now done all the procedure which you described

Made a backup catalog on HD1

restore catalog on HD2

When I plug in HD2 in PC1 / Manage Catalog : Browse /  OK

That means that the backup and the restore have been successful.

- your backup is ok

- the restore photo library AND the catalog are OK on the external drive. You can check that the catalog you are using is the one you are using (not the original) from the menu Help >> system Info, you can see the location of the catalog. Also, in the information panel on the right, the location of each photo file is on the external drive.

When I plug HD2 in PC2 / Manage Catalog / Browse

I have a message : Could not open the catalog. Internal programming error.

If you can open the organizer with the second computer, the message is obviously linked to the identification of the restored catalog folder. Since it' the same procedure  you successfully made with the other computer, it's not an error on your part.

The possible source of error might be the drive identification of the external drive seen by the two computers.

Say the external drive is recognized as E: in computer one, and as I: in computer two. The drive identification would be false in the second computer (see previous discussion). That's what you have to check first.

If the drive letter is different, you only have to use the Windows options to change the drive letter.

Several tutorials on how to change drive letter on your Windows 10:

Windows 10 change letter drive - Yahoo Search Results

If the letters are the same, you might try to start the organizer on the second drive by double clicking on the 'catalog.pse15db' file in the restored catalog folder.

General troubleshooting procedure:

Elements Organizer 2018 crashes on launch or while importing a catalog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I checked as you said, : On both PCs the HD is identified as J: so same letter

PC1

I noticed that in fact the organiser opens My Catalog in C/: and not on the external drive

Help / System Info

The catalog is on C (that was my previous catalog)

So I try to open it in J:

Custom / Browse / looking on J:

message" the catalog could not be opened. Intenal program error'

So the organiser cannot open the catalog on J

The  same thing happens when I plug in the HD on PC2

Organiser opens a catalog on C: and when I ask to open the catalog on J: Error message

I localised 'catalog.pse15db' on J: . When I double-click on 'catalog.pse15db'  I revceive again the error message ' The catalog could not be opened. An internal programming error occured'

I guess I shall probably to go again to the whole process, but how...

Thank you

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means that the process: backup plus restore gives a corrupt catalog.

My guess is that the backup part has worked, otherwise (from my experience) you could not have performed the restore.

On the other hand, the message is typical of a corrupt catalog.

Try to start the organizer from the second computer while keeping the shift key pressed until you get a dialog offering the option to 'repair' the catalog. If the organizer tries to repair the default new empty catalog that won't work, but if it tries to repair the new corrupt one, there is a chance.

If nothing works, I would not start the whole process again, only the restore part. However, tell me what happens with the above trial. Before trying to restore again, I can provide a faster troubleshooting test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

I tried what you proposed on PC2

"

"Try to start the organizer from the second computer while keeping the shift key pressed until you get a dialog offering the option to 'repair' the catalog. If the organizer tries to repair the default new empty catalog that won't work, but if it tries to repair the new corrupt one, there is a chance."

I kept the shift key pressed during the whole process

But the program didn't propose a repair procedure.

It opened again the old catalog on C:, then I browed on J: where I had the error message.

Unless you propose simpler alternative, I think I should proceed from scratch. Restart from Zero. However I don't know how to do that. Shall I manually delete all catalogs??? (If I can)

best

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you propose simpler alternative, I think I should proceed from scratch. Restart from Zero. However I don't know how to do that. Shall I manually delete all catalogs??? (If I can)

You can delete the catalog folder on the J: drive from your Windows explorer.

(Note: to delete it from the organizer, you would have to be in another catalog, for instance a new empty one. Then the catalog manager shows a 'remove' button to do that).

You might try the restore process only.

A relatively fast troubleshooting step before starting from scratch would be to create a new folder on J: 'MyCatalogLight' or similar. You only copy the 'catalog.pse15db' file from the corrupt catalog folder on J: into that folder.

Double click on this file; this should open the organizer with a 'minimal' catalog keeping your tags, captions, ratings, notes, version sets, stacks and albums. You would lose face recognition among others. The missing components will be re-created, like thumbnails.

If that works, the catalog corruption is not related to that main catalog database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

No it did not work

When I double click on the copied catalog.pse15db

I receive the same error message. 'Could not open. Internal program error'

Thanks for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danielschellmus  wrote

No it did not work

When I double click on the copied catalog.pse15db

I receive the same error message. 'Could not open. Internal program error'

Then the problem seems to lie in the restored 'catalog.pse15db' database.

When in your original catalog, did you try a 'repair' option, and 'repair anyway' even if no error have been found?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Michel

I think that the best is to restart the whole process

But I do not understand well a point: When Organiser starts from scratch, does he creates his first catalog on C: That means local?

How can I start from scratch? Can I create immediately the new catalog on HD1?

Otherwise

Shall I first delete all catalogs on C: of PC1

and all catalogs on I: HD1 and HD2

Then what? how and where do I create the first new catalog

Then do a BU on HD1

A restore on HD2

And then The catalog on HD2 should be the one I shall use between both computers

Thank you for the help

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Miche

I restart from scratch

Did a full back up on HD2

I am doing a restore to HD1

A further question:

When I restore , is it useful to restore with the option 'restore Original Folder structure'

Is it interesting to do it?I tried a bit both possibilities and I don't see realy any advantages to either solution.

- with the option 'restore Original Folder structure'

The organiser restores all tthe original folders?

- just restore normal

The organiser restores with its own way, reorganising the folders in a strrange way that I don't really grab.

In both cases, do you lose some photos or forders in doubjle? Do you lose some infos??

Thank you

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back up or restore catalogs in Elements Organizer 2018

You may prefer not to keep the original folder structure when the result is a folder tree with many subfolders without any image. For instance, the 'My Pictures' folders appears under 'User', 'your user name' steps which are useless. The restored structure is simplified. If you don't like it, simply ignore and tick the option to restore the original structure with its unneeded empty subfolders.

Anyway, all your files are there and no folder merging takes place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Michel,

I did the Restore  without the 'keep the original folder ' as you said

The Restore was succesful (took 5 hours) on HD1. I: in a folder under the root Clic_Photoshop

apparently all my folders are there.

Now I am ready.

I shall open PC1 , Manage catalog ' choose the 'My catalog" on I: Clic_Photoshop

Then Open PC2, see that the HD has also the letter i:

then on PC2 manage catalog and choose the same

I hope it will work this time...

Thank you for confirming the procedure

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Michel,

After many many hours of trying, and following your precious advice,  I have to admit that it will not work on two PCs

I suspected that it was because I was backuping and restoring with HD's SO I tried with two SSD's

My Folder is abour 400G

I have 80k photos and 1500 folders

Everything went ok on PC1

Then I plugged my SSD on PC2, changed the letter to J: as in PC1

Everything worked fine on PC2

I made a few modifs.

Went back to PC1

Plugged my SSD, and there ... 'The catalog could not be opened. An Internal error occured'

So for me the case is there: It is not possible to use a same catalog on two PC's

Have you referred to Adobe about this?

Best
Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Went back to PC1

Plugged my SSD, and there ... 'The catalog could not be opened. An Internal error occured'

No idea of what happened there. By the way, I don't have any SSD, so I can't test on my side.

Have you referred to Adobe about this?

What should I say them? My guess is that members of the Elements team are monitoring the forum, but I very much doubt that any action will be taken until the problem is clearly identified and reproducible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines