• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Move a Group of Picture Folders at same time

Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my PSE 2021 pictures are located in Pictures/Adobe/Catalog.  They are then grouped by their appropriate category folders. It seems more correct to have each category folder elevated directly under Pictures not two levels down under Adobe/Catalog. 

I can drag each folder and place it under Pictures, but I can not drag a group of folders at the same time, which would make the task much easier.  How can I move a group of picture folders?

Any advice please??

Thanks......Ron

TOPICS
Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ron,

"All of my PSE 2021 pictures are located in Pictures/Adobe/Catalog."

Two problems there in my opinion.

The first one is that it's a bit confusion to name the folder as /catalog, since it contains the media files and not the catolog(s) which are subfolders in another location than Pictures.

The second one is that storing your images in the 'Pictures' folder, as expected by Microsoft, is not the only choice. Many advanced users (not only with Elements but also with Lightroom) recommend to avoid the Pictures folder absolutely and to store their image folders

- on a different drive or partition than the system disk

- on a master folder just under the root of the other drive or partition;  for instance, under "F:/My photo library"

Reasons for this:

- a single folder tree level instead of too many, as you have found

- Independent management for backups and migrations

- Browsing ease in the left folder panel

- changes in the paths: changes in Windows depending on versions ('My Pictures' or 'Pictures'), changes in the user name...

And by far, the main difference between people like you who heavily rely on folder structures to organize and people like me who trust the virtual hierarchies of tags and albums and don't care much about folders is that they will choose their programs according to their own preferences: browsers like Bridge on one side, Organizer or Lightroom on the other.

Yes, you can manage folders in all softwares, but with the Organizer or Lightroom, you select the simplest folder schemes possible (mainly chronological) and you rely on keywords/tags and their virtual (and flexible) hierarchies for the rest.

I can drag each folder and place it under Pictures, but I can not drag a group of folders at the same time, which would make the task much easier. How can I move a group of picture folders?

When the organizer 'moves' folders by drag and drop, it uses the same Windows tools as the Explorer. Is there a way to select several subfolders and move them at the same time by drag and drop in the Explorer?

You may have found that moving (dragging) folders in the organizer or directly in the Explorer may lead to a number of error messages. The idea of moving several subfolders at the same time will make troubleshooting those errors very difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines