Highlighted

How to move moon behind mountain

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom 2020 and am just learning how to use layers and masks.  I have a photo of a mountain with a rising full moon in the sky above the mountain.  I would like to move the moon so the mountain is in front of  part of it, and about half of the moon is visible rising behind the mountain.  What is the quickest way to accomplish this with the fewest number of steps? I think I'm making it way too complicated and end up getting lost in all the layers and masks.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to move moon behind mountain

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom 2020 and am just learning how to use layers and masks.  I have a photo of a mountain with a rising full moon in the sky above the mountain.  I would like to move the moon so the mountain is in front of  part of it, and about half of the moon is visible rising behind the mountain.  What is the quickest way to accomplish this with the fewest number of steps? I think I'm making it way too complicated and end up getting lost in all the layers and masks.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 19, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops!  I didn't mean Lightroom, I meant moving the moon in Photoshop Elements 2020.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the photo so we have a better idea of what you have in mind. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moon over BlackButteMoon over BlackButte

Moon Over BlackButte-1.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Here's one way to do it.

1. Create a copy of the background layer (Ctrl+J)
  2. Select the top layer.
  3. Use the Content Aware Move tool to make a selection around the moon and to move it to the mountain top.  See this article for more details.
  4. Add a layer mask to the top layer by clicking on the icon shown:Snap10_2019.10.20_00h33m54s_003_.png
  5. Press X to make sure the foreground color is black.
  6. Snap10_2019.10.20_00h38m20s_005_.pngPress B to select the brush tool.  Resize if necessary (using square bracket keys).
  7. Paint over the moon to expose the mountain top below.

This sounds more complicated than it is.

Moved Moon.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - that works!  Is there also a way to do it that would preserve the fine jagged details of the trees along the edge of the mountain? In other words have the unchanged image of the mountain edge actually be in front of the moon. I know I can enlarge the view and carefully make my masking selection around them but it is time consuming and not perfect.

(I was having trouble signing in and had to change my user name from Billp99 to billporter6)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2019 0
Bp99 LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just figured this out after some trial & error attempts.  Beginning with the photo as the duplicate background layer, I seperated the land from the sky using the Magic Wand tool (very easy and precise), and copied the land mass onto its own layer (Cntrl J - Windows).   Next I selected the moon and put it on its own layer (Cntrl J). Then I placed the moon layer below the land layer.  Using the Move tool on the moon, I was able to place it behind the edge of  the land with a beautiful silhouette of the tree tops in front of the moon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2019 0