• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open PSE2021 directly to Photo Editor?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to PSE although I had been a long-time user of PS CS4. But when I bought a new HP laptop, I couldn't transfer my old PS, so downloaded PSE2021. It opens to a busy welcome screen--but I'd greatly prefer it open directly to the Photo Editor, where I do all my work.

Please advise!

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Contributor , Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Welcome to the forums!

Great question in my opinion because I "suffered" from the same thing. Now, although I really know my way around Windows I have to be honest: it was @Greg_S. who pointed my attention to this possibility (in a problem thread of my own) and that set things in motion for me. It's actually a lot easier than it seems at first, but... I always go with "credit where credit's due".

The shortcut(s) which got placed in your start menu point to the welcome screen. However, there are

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate , Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Just to expand on hatstead's reply...

You can create shortcuts on your desktop that will let you directly startup the Organizer or Editor without using the Home screen...
IF you're using a Windows PC and you've installed PSE2021 in the default location - do this...

To make a separate desktop shortcut for the Organizer.

1. Use the Windows Explorer to navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Elements 2021 Organizer.
  2. Then locate PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe.
  3. Right-click on PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe and c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set a desktop icon from this path (Windows 10):

Windows (C)>Program Files (x86)>Adobe>Photoshop Elements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forums!

Great question in my opinion because I "suffered" from the same thing. Now, although I really know my way around Windows I have to be honest: it was @Greg_S. who pointed my attention to this possibility (in a problem thread of my own) and that set things in motion for me. It's actually a lot easier than it seems at first, but... I always go with "credit where credit's due".

The shortcut(s) which got placed in your start menu point to the welcome screen. However, there are also executables installed which fire up the program(s) directly. Open explorer (or any other file manager) and then go to the Adobe program folder. So in my case: c:\program files\Adobe. There you'll find a folder called "Photoshop Elements 2021", don't let the icon fool you! In that folder you'll find an executable called "PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe", start it and you got just what you're looking for.

Now you can attach this to your taskbar, but honestly... I prefer a more elegant solution:

• Drag the executable to your desktop using your right mousebutton, then let go. A menu will show, make a shortcut.
  • Rename the shortcut to a normal name, for example: "PSE 2021". Beware of the existing shortcut, try to make the name different.
  • Point your file manager to this location: "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs".
  • Now drag & drop the shortcut you made and move it to this location.

This will add the new shortcut to your start menu, but without interfering with the "system menu". In short: your start menu is divided into 2 sections: one which applies to the whole system and one which is personal. Using this method you'll add the shortcut to your own personal start menu.

Now, the reason you might want to do this is because this also allows you to attach this shortcut to your start menu. Here's an example of how things look at my end:

ShelLuser_0-1604681633434.png

As you can see I didn't settle for just one shortcut, I attached the Organizer to my start menu because I really came to appreciate this and I use it all the time, but I also removed the official shortcuts and replaced them with my own (you can use the same method I mentioned above, the main difference is that you also need to create a folder of your own in that start menu location).

So this is how you can fire up all parts of the Elements suite without having to bother with the welcome screen (and if you really miss it then don't forget that both Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements have an icon to open it).

Hope this could help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @ShelLuser indicated, you can also pin a shortcut to the task bar.  To do this, open either the program and right-click on the taskbar icon.  You will then have the option to pin the icon to the taskbar.  This will work for both the Editor and the Organizer.  Make sure you don't select the taskbar icon for the Welcome Screen.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.06_14h24m28s_002_.png

You can also right-click on the exe file and select Send to>Desktop (Create shortcut) instead of click and dragging to the desktop.

It's all a matter of personal preference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to expand on hatstead's reply...

You can create shortcuts on your desktop that will let you directly startup the Organizer or Editor without using the Home screen...
IF you're using a Windows PC and you've installed PSE2021 in the default location - do this...

To make a separate desktop shortcut for the Organizer.

1. Use the Windows Explorer to navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Elements 2021 Organizer.
  2. Then locate PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe.
  3. Right-click on PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe and chose Send to > Desktop (create shortcut).

To make a separate desktop shortcut for the Editor.

1. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2021.
  2. Locate PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe.
  3. Right-click on PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe and chose Send to > Desktop (create shortcut).

One of the really useful things that you can use these shortcuts for is Drag and Drop editing or importing. You can drag one or more image files and drop them on the Editor shortcut and they will open in the Editor. Or, you can drag one or more image files and drop them on the Organizer shortcut and they will be imported into the organizer. I frequently use the drag and drop for the Editor - it's really useful for me. When you save your edit, you can choose whether or not to include the edit in the Organizer.

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, everyone, for responding to my issue. I've tried a few without success, but that's probably due to the fact my right button doesn't function like a right-click. I'll research Unimouse Contour to find the fix [insert eyeroll emogi]. 

Again, I appreciate all of you taking the time to help me out, and will let you know how I'm doing.

Lorraine in Pompano Beach, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using?

If you don't have a right button mouse function, there are some other keyboard options found in this article.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On the Mac side, I just opened the package labeled "Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021" (right click), navigated to the editor in the package folder, made an alias of the editior which I put on my desktop for easy access. Now when I click on the alias, it opens the editor directly without the splash screen = just what I wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines