• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to put a colored border around a single image on a canvas with multiple images Elements 2020?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I draw or place a colored border around a single image on a custom canvas with a white background that also contains other images?  How do I control the stroke and color of this frame?

I prefer a frame with a stroke on the outside and blank on the inside that can overlay if possible on the image slightly to a colored layer under the image if this is possible in Elements?

New to Elements and new to creating a custom canvas for a photo notecard in Elements.

Working on Mojave iMac.

Would appreciate step by step instruction for this. Still getting used to the tools and menus available and how to wrangle them under my control.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Creative , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019
  1. Open the picture file
  2. Use one of the selection tools, e.g. lasso tool, selection brush, to select the object
  3. Place the object on its own layer (press CTRL+J)
  4. Press CTRL and left click on the layer thumbnail (not the name) on Layer 1
  5. Open a blank layer at the top (Layer 2), and go to Edit>stroke(outline) selection. Enter value for stroke width, color, and position: Inside.. ok it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Forgot to add this

boat_2019_2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Open the picture file
  2. Use one of the selection tools, e.g. lasso tool, selection brush, to select the object
  3. Place the object on its own layer (press CTRL+J)
  4. Press CTRL and left click on the layer thumbnail (not the name) on Layer 1
  5. Open a blank layer at the top (Layer 2), and go to Edit>stroke(outline) selection. Enter value for stroke width, color, and position: Inside.. ok it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to add this

boat_2019_2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TY. I'm sorry I may not have expressed my question clearly enough.

I want a frame around one whole image on a canvas. A rectangle frame..colored..ability to set stroke..but have a clear center so that I can put the frame layer over the image.

Also using iMac. Do not have right or left clicks.

End result like this..

xmas2019.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way is to use a Stroke Layer Style by going to Layer>Layer Style>Style Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. This is helpful. Took me awhile to find all the hidden menus, but that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this

Screenshot-(209).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines