• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to restore Photoshop Elements 13 catalog from Acronis image files

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a serious failure of my c-drive.  The c-drive was replaced with a new clean version of Windows 10.  I have an image of c-drive that I made using Acronis True Image.  All my photos are on another internal drive.  I do not want to completely install the Acronis image onto my c-drive and replace the clean operating system.  I can restore individual files from the image to my c-drive.  What files do I need to recover and what should I do with them to restore my catalog?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Hey Greg,

You pointed out my deficiency and pointed me in the right direction.  Yes, I am backing up all my media files.  My deficiency was in not making the Organizer backup before doing my monthly saves.  I was relying on Acronis.  In fixing  my c-drive, my other drive labels also changed, i.e D became G etc.  It was just too difficult for me to work around and get the right files out of Acronis and into the right location so Organizer could find them.

However, your post gave me an idea.  I use

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello david,

in my eyes you should better ask Akronis Customer Service at https://www.acronis.com/en-us/support/ >>> please see screenshot:

acronis.jpg

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Hans-G,

I appreciate the input.  I had already thought of that.  However, I know how to restore the Acronis files.  I have already restored all the files to another internal drive.  What I do not know is which files are required and where I should move them to in order for Photoshop Elements to find them and rebuild my catalog. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that you can search the backup image for files.  If so, look for a file called catalog.pse13db.  This will be where your catalog is located.  Copy the entire folder that contains the db file to anywhere on your C:\ drive.  If your original media files are in the same relative location on the other drive, nothing further needs to be done, other than open the catalog in the File>Manage catalogs dialog.  If you have copied the media files from the backup of C:\ to another drive, then we need to discuss some other options.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

For future reference, it is a good idea to use the Elements Organizer backup and restore utility for your catalog.  However, using Acronis to backup your files will also work.  You are making backups of your media files aren't you? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Greg,

You pointed out my deficiency and pointed me in the right direction.  Yes, I am backing up all my media files.  My deficiency was in not making the Organizer backup before doing my monthly saves.  I was relying on Acronis.  In fixing  my c-drive, my other drive labels also changed, i.e D became G etc.  It was just too difficult for me to work around and get the right files out of Acronis and into the right location so Organizer could find them.

However, your post gave me an idea.  I used Acronis to make an image of my new operating system.  Then I installed my old operating system and made a backup of Organizer in a folder on a different drive.  I then went back and reinstalled the image of my new system.  I installed Photoshop and restored the Organizer catalog from the backup.  After doing a reconnect I am good to go.

Thank you.

(Yes, doing a catalog backup will now be a part of my monthly routine.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have done one of the options I would have suggested.  Glad I was able to put you on the right track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines