• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to save a photo edited in PSE with the same MBs

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bring a photo into PSE 19 to edit it just a little (spot healing brush tool).  Then I save it, but PSE is reducing the size of the photo dramatically (13MBs to 3 MBs) when it saves it.  Can anyone tell me why that is happening and how to solve it?  Thanks.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Hi rlt47,

I just edited a JPG photo in PSE 2020. I did the same edit that you did - a small spot healing brush edit. The size of my photo before the edit was 8.81 MB. After the edit, it is 10.6 MB which is the opposite of your result. When I save the edit, a "JPEG Options" window pops up for adjusting the size and quality of the photo. My options were set to "Maximum". Maybe you need to adjust the settings in the Options window.

This is a screenshot of the JPEG Options popup window.

Annotation 2020-01-11 144943.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a JPEG? If so, don’t edit JPEG. Never. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why NEVER edit a JPEG photo? Every digital camera I've owned created ether JPEG and/or RAW photos.

Please explain!

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rlt47,

I just edited a JPG photo in PSE 2020. I did the same edit that you did - a small spot healing brush edit. The size of my photo before the edit was 8.81 MB. After the edit, it is 10.6 MB which is the opposite of your result. When I save the edit, a "JPEG Options" window pops up for adjusting the size and quality of the photo. My options were set to "Maximum". Maybe you need to adjust the settings in the Options window.

This is a screenshot of the JPEG Options popup window.

Annotation 2020-01-11 144943.jpg

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to check on that.  Using the "JPEG Options" window solved the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why NEVER edit a JPEG photo"

Because JPEG is "lossy". What that means is that every time you save it, there is some damage. So if you save a JPEG, then edit it (even to change nothing at all), there is more damage. Save again - more damage. So it is vital to have a working copy in a format that is not JPEG (such as PSD).  

Of course you might start with a JPEG. So you would go from JPEG to PSD. Then you edit the PSD. Each time you edit the PSD you save a fresh JPEG, if you need it, for web sites or whatever. But that JPEG that you just made is a final product, thrown away if you want to edit, because you go back to the PSD. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Test_Screen_Name,

Thanks for the explanation. That would make sense for a professional photographer that depended on the quality of images for their livelihood. But, IMO it's not needed for a casual photographer that just wants to do some minor editing and then share photos with family or friends.

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your insights on the use of JPEGs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines