• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How To See Whole Image - After Cropping Without Deleting Cropped Pixels (PSE 2020)

Participant ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand the benefit of cropping without deleting cropped pixels. The problem is if I wish to crop again there doesn't appear to be a way to see the whole image again. It's like I am cropping blind. I assume there must be a bug or I am missing a trick to reveal the whole image again. As a work around, I have no choice to save the uncropped PSD file in case I wish to crop again; this defeats the purpose of cropping without deleting cropped pixels. Is there a way I can fix this problem? Your advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris

Uncropped Image

No Crop.JPG

First Crop (Without Deleting Cropped Pixels)

First Crop.JPG

Second Crop

Second Crop.JPG

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Thanks Greg!

Thought I was going mad 🙂

It is indeed from ElementsXXL:

cropoptions.jpg

So Chris, it seems this is something you might want to take up with the ElementsXXL developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I don't think Adobe Photoshop Elements gives you the option to crop images without deleting pixels.

Also, if you open the image in the Elements Editor from the Elements Organizer, you will always have a copy of the original image if you wish to make an alternative crop from there. Or, if you have made other changes and are working from a previously saved image, use the Save As... option.

I like to keep my Organizer catalog neat and tidy, so always make sure the Save in Version Set with Original checkbox is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are missing the fact that cropping non-destructively is exactly what you get when using the Camera raw plugin.

You know that you can open not only raw files in that plugin, but also jpegs, psd, tiff... formats?

Menu File >> Open in ACR.

Editing non destructively is not the only advantage, you can open  many files at the same time and apply the same edits to many opened files. You can define your own crop ratios.

Note that the changes in PSE2021 (ACR 13.0) have completely changed the way the crop tool works. My big issue is that the changes have been inherited from the full ACR version of Photoshop, which does use the GPU. In PSE, with a normal hardware (according to minimal system requirements), using the sliders is so slow as to be impossible. I hope an upgrade will use the GPU. With the same computer, the full Photoshop version (with GPU) works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Phil and Michel for your replies. I can confirm that the main edit workspace in PS Elements does have the option to delete or not delete cropped pixels. I usually like to crop after I have finished editing. 

The first crop works fine. The problem is if I wish to crop a second time I cannot see the whole image. So it's like cropping blind. There is either a bug or I am missing something.

First Crop

Delete Cropped Pixels.JPG

Second Crop

Second Crop.JPG

Kind regards

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

After checking the Elements Editor User Guide, and my 2020 & 2021 editions of Adobe Photoshop Elements Classroom in a Book, I can't find any reference to a Delete Cropped Pixels option (nor Content-Aware or Color Adaption options either).

Is it an experimental, beta feature you have enabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phil, I think it must be from an add-on like Elements XXL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Greg!

Thought I was going mad 🙂

It is indeed from ElementsXXL:

cropoptions.jpg

So Chris, it seems this is something you might want to take up with the ElementsXXL developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for your help. I thought that this was an Adobe feature, but it turns out it is from the Elements XXL plug in I am using. So as you say, I will have to take this up with the developers. In the meantime, there are several work arounds I can use. 

Thank you all again for your help. 

Kind regards

Chris 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines