• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to simply "save" changes to a jpeg without need to rename/replace original file?

New Here ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my problem:

When I open a jpeg in Elements, then edit/change it in any way, when I save it (File>Save or command-S), I pinevitably always get the "Save As" dialog box, which requires me to rename the file. If I then leave the original name unchanged, I get another dialog box asking if I want to replace the original file. I then must clicki "Yes," and then face a THIRD dialog box of "JPEG Options" which I must deal with as well. 

What I seek is to have no dialog boxes at all -- I don't want to "Save As" with all its attendant complications, but instead I just want to simply "Save" and have the destructive edits automatically saved in the original jpeg without all the rigamarole of the "Save As" steps. 

Is therd any way to do this? Or do some types of edits inevitably trigger the "Save As" command?

1. (Final note: I haven't tested to see if this issue happens with every kind of edit in Elements; I can only say that it happens with the kind if edits I  do, fiddling with contrast and exposure and similar changes.)

TOPICS
How to , Mac , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Menu Edit >> Preferences >> Saving files - On first save, "save over original".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Menu Edit >> Preferences >> Saving files - On first save, "save over original".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That does the trick. 

Follow-up question: 

Is there a way to set it such that when I close the current single image I'm working on, the act of closing the image ALSO closes Elements' (now blank) editing frame/palettes/window? When I close each image, I want the underlying Elements screen to also go away, so I can see my files in "Finder" underneath, without additional clicking or mouse movements. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know anything about Macs, but the general rule in all the softwares I am acquainted with is that closing a document does not close the instance of the program you are using. In Windows, I am using the option to 'open documents in floating windows in expert mode'. If I close the file, that automatically closes the document window and I get back to the editor window. I am sure expert Mac users will understand your question better than I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines