• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Solve an "Adjust Facial Features" Problem?

Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using PSE 2018 on an iMac. When I open a photo of 4 people and go to "adjust facial features" in expert mode, circles appear around face of only 3 people for selection of their faces.  Unfortunately, the one I need to adjust is the face not selected with a circle. this face is a little more in shadow, so I brightened image.  How can I select this face?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Could you please share the image with me via personal message so that I could ascertain the reason behind the issue?

Thanks,

Medha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding my query about "How to Solve an "Adjust Facial Features" Problem?"

The photo in question is attached. Selection circles are formed around the

3 faces on the right but not the face on the left.  My impression is that

the problem is that this face is turned toward the side rather than being

face-on.  If this is correct, is there any remedy?

Thank you for responding.

Jerry Vanderberg

[Personal information removed by moderator.]

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 2:09 AM Medha_Sharma <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Unfortunately, it isn't possible to post images via e-mail. Please log into the forum and then attach the image.

Thanks,

Medha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This relates to my question about a problem with "adjust facial features".

I am using PSE 2018 on an iMac. When I open a photo of 4 people and go to "adjust facial features" in expert mode, circles appear around face of only 3 people for selection of their faces.  Unfortunately, the one I need to adjust is the face not selected with a circle. this face is a little more in shadow, so I brightened image.  How can I select this face?

After further trying, I note the selection circles are formed around the 3 faces on the right but not the face on the left.  My impression is that the problem is that this face is turned toward the side rather than being face-on.  If this is correct, is there any remedy?

Thank you for responding.

Jerry Vanderberg

[Personal information removed by moderator.]

The photo in question is attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Mehda,

Image is attached as you suggested.  As I noted, the selection circles are formed around the 3 faces on the right but not the face on the left.  My impression is that the problem is that this face is turned toward the side rather than being face-on.  If this is correct, is there any remedy?

Also, I used PSE as well as Premier E for many years with a Windows computer.  I switched to an iMac about a year ago and find that the the 2018 Mac version of both of these (especially Premiere Elements) are somewhat more limited and more unstable than when working with the Windows software on a Windows computer.   Could this be an issue?

Jerry

Hopes family 7.6 MB copytest.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I get the same result as you on a Windows machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Greg.  So it seems clear that it is not my using an Apple rather than Windows that is the limitation.  I still wonder if the problem is that the face on the far left is not facing fully forwards and if so, is there any remedy.Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try making a selection (using one of the selection tools) of just that face and then see if it is detected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Peru+Bob  wrote

Try making a selection (using one of the selection tools) of just that face and then see if it is detected.

I don't think that will work.  If you select the face and go to the Adjust Facial Features editor, no faces will be found, presumably because only the selected area can be edited.

Jerry, I believe, as you say, that the profile of the face is the issue.  The editor only works symmetrically, so it appears to only work well with full face images.

I'm trying to see whether applying facial recognition to the image will make a difference.  (I tried marking the face manually with facial recognition, but it won't allow me to do so without performing the auto-analysis.)  I'll let you know whether I have any better success with that.)

Hopefully, Medha_Sharma will return to this thread and give us some official explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg_S.  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Peru+Bob   wrote

I don't think that will work.  If you select the face and go to the Adjust Facial Features editor, no faces will be found,

I have done exactly that on a family photo image and it worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jerry,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delayed response.

As rightly mentioned by you and others, the face isn't being recognized due to its profile. Usually, frontal faces are easily detected but titled faces or side faces aren't.

To remedy this, you could rotate the image, make the necessary modifications and then perform the inverse rotation. I tried rotating it 22 degrees towards the right and then the face was detected.

AdjustFacialFeatures.PNG

Hope this answers your question. Should there be anything else I could assist you with, please let me know.

Thanks,

Medha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Medha. What a simple and elegant solution just by rotating the

image, correcting it and then rotating back!

Jerry

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 6:49 AM Medha_Sharma <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always happy to help!

If you face any issues with face detection in Photoshop Elements in the future, please reach out to me.

Thanks,

Medha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob is absolutely correct.  It is possible to help the program find faces by selecting them before choosing the Adjust Facial Features tool.  I tried this out on some of my group images.  By selecting one person's face, the adjust features editor will bring just that person's face to the forefront.  However, it still depends on the image itself as to whether this tip will work.  I couldn't get it to work on Jerry's image.

I found that it is also possible to select several people in a group image in order to assist the program to find faces in the image.  In one of my images there were about 25 people.  I had already tagged about 12 of them using face recognition.  However, only about 6 faces were available for editing in Adjust Facial Features.  By selecting some of the faces individually, as Bob suggested, I was able to adjust facial features in several more people. However, there were others where the tool would not work.  I even marked a face manually in the Organizer and the face was still not recognized.  When I selected a group of people in the image (not just their faces), the program found several of their faces too.

My conclusion from this experiment is that the algorithm for finding faces is far more complicated than simply the orientation of the face.  One of the faces in my group image had been found and tagged by face recognition.  The person was face-on to the camera.  But Adjust Facial Features could not find him, even with the prior selection assist.  This could have been because he was a child surrounded by adults, and his chin was slightly hidden.  Yet, other people that were found by the editor were not what I would call full face.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Greg,

Greg_S.  wrote

I found that it is also possible to select several people in a group image in order to assist the program to find faces in the image.  In one of my images there were about 25 people.  I had already tagged about 12 of them using face recognition.  However, only about 6 faces were available for editing in Adjust Facial Features.  By selecting some of the faces individually, as Bob suggested, I was able to adjust facial features in several more people. However, there were others where the tool would not work.  I even marked a face manually in the Organizer and the face was still not recognized.  When I selected a group of people in the image (not just their faces), the program found several of their faces too.

My conclusion from this experiment is that the algorithm for finding faces is far more complicated than simply the orientation of the face.  One of the faces in my group image had been found and tagged by face recognition.  The person was face-on to the camera.  But Adjust Facial Features could not find him, even with the prior selection assist.  This could have been because he was a child surrounded by adults, and his chin was slightly hidden.  Yet, other people that were found by the editor were not what I would call full face.

I'm afraid manually marking the face in EO won't help in this case. In Adjust Facial Features, face detection isn't as straightforward as it seems. Since the feature provides the option to tweak the facial features, it becomes imperative that all the facial landmarks are correctly identified. Failure in doing so may lead to unnatural results after using the Adjust Facial Features tool. Also, face detection in PSE and in EO are independent of each other. The detection in PSE is a little restrictive due to the issues I mentioned above.

In group images, sometimes faces aren't detected owing to their small size. Could you try cropping the image to see if there's any improvement in the face detection results?

Let me know if you have any more questions. I shall be happy to answer them.

Thanks,

Medha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the explanation, Medha.  Now, everything makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerry, face recognition analysis has recognized all of the faces in your photo, but I still cannot get the Adjust Facial Featues editor to recognize the man's face.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg, Thank you for trying. Perhaps we may hear from Medha. In any event,

if it does not work with a full-face frontal view, the world will not come

to an end.

Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again FWIW, all of the faces are easily recognized in the equivalent tool of Photoshop CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem with Photoshop Elements. The Adjust Facial Features just doesn't work. It doesn't find the face. I have numerous pictures where I am looking straight at the camera, there are no other faces in the photograph and it still doesn't find the face, even when using the rectangle tool to select it first. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gary5C5B can you post an example?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[image: 20201228_103053.jpg]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent it by hitting reply on the email. Did you get it - or do I need to post it here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've sent two images. Did you get them?

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines