• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Solve an "Adjust Facial Features" Problem?

Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using PSE 2018 on an iMac. When I open a photo of 4 people and go to "adjust facial features" in expert mode, circles appear around face of only 3 people for selection of their faces.  Unfortunately, the one I need to adjust is the face not selected with a circle. this face is a little more in shadow, so I brightened image.  How can I select this face?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20201228_103053.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas as to why the above photo doesn't work with the 'adjust facial features' tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume from your lack of response that you were unable to get facial recognition to recognise the previous photo for the 'adjust facial features' option in Photoshop Elements. Here is a different photo of the same person. Doesn't work for that either.

y20201228_093841.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - I have no idea why that came out upside down. It's rightside up on my computer. If you can't put it right side up I can send it again. If anyone has any ideas as to why it doesn't recognise the face, let me know. The facial enhancement feature was one of the main reasons I upgraded to the latest Photoshop Elements, but it doesn't seem to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the 2020 version of Photoshop Elements, by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note to Photoshop Elements users: The "Adjust Facial Features" option doesn't work in Photoshop Elements 20.2. It doesn't recognise the faces, as per the two clear examples I have provided. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gary5C5B, you are correct that neither face can be found in Elements 2020.  I'm guessing that it is because of the dark glasses and possibly the flat cap.  (I haven't tried to adjust the photo to see whether I can get the program to recognize the face.)

However, the algorithms and AI seem to have improved in Elements 2021 and the feature recognizes both faces (and adds the ability to tilt the head). 

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.12.29_09h25m48s_000_SnapCollage.png

If you don't want to upgrade, how did you want to alter the faces?  There are probably alternative methods to do so within Elements 2020.

And note to Gary: 

• This is a user to user forum.  We volunteer our time.  Adobe employees only poke their head in occassionally.
  • Don't be fooled by the Adobe Community Professional title that is attached to my name.  I am not employed by Adobe.
  • You can only post photos on the forum.  Email attachments don't get included in your posts on the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. There is no way to upgrade to 2021. You have to buy the full product. It wasn't that long ago that I bought 2020.

2. If you click on buy now on the Adobe page for 2021, you get the message: "Product unavailable.

We’re sorry, but the specified product or promotion could not be found; it may have expired or it may not be available in your country or region (United Kingdom). If you believe this message to be in error, please call Adobe Phone Sales at 0800 0280148 to place your order."

3. I have used 2020 previously with a hat and sunglasses and now it doesn't work on the photos it used to work on. 

4. Since no discount is offered for an upgrade I assume I will need to pay for the full product and can keep both versions - 2020 and 2021 on my computer?

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to say thanks for trying it with 2021. If I could download the trial version without getting the error message, I would, just to make sure it works. I don't mind paying for a product that works although I do wish there was an upgrade price rather than having to buy the full product again. g.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gary5C5B 

You wrote:

1. There is no way to upgrade to 2021. You have to buy the full product. It wasn't that long ago that I bought 2020.

The promotional price you mentioned is no longer available, but the 'normal' 20% discount for an upgrade is always available. And if you shop around on big resellers on the web, you can still find a better offer.

3. I have used 2020 previously with a hat and sunglasses and now it doesn't work on the photos it used to work on.

I don't trust nor use face recognition, but I am extremely surprised that PSE2021 can identify that face!

4. Since no discount is offered for an upgrade I assume I will need to pay for the full product and can keep both versions - 2020 and 2021 on my computer?

Each program is independent of the other and you can keep them both on your computer. Keep in mind that the catalogs will also be independent, what is managed in a catalog will not be available to another one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 30% promotional discount is still available in the United States.  I can't make a purchase in the UK because I get redirected back to the US site, but here is what the purchase dialog looks like.  There is a dropdown menu that takes you to the Upgrade price.  But as Michel says, you may be able to get an even cheaper price at a (legitimate) online retailer. 

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.12.30_00h14m27s_000_SnapCollage.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MichelBParis said:

I don't trust nor use face recognition, but I am extremely surprised that PSE2021 can identify that face!

Michel, face recognition has greatly improved over the years.  It would not surprise me in the least if the face was not only identified as a face but also recognized with the correct name.  Faces are recognized at various angles, slants and tilts, and with and without glasses and hats.  But it seems that the Adjust Facial Features tool uses a different algorithm because the face needs to be full face in order to make the adjustment without distorting the photo.  I was surprised that 2021 had improved this tool because I don't think I have seen this improvement touted by Adobe.

And @Gary5C5B , if you click this link (on the Adobe UK website), hopefully it will take you to the free trial download page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michel - however in regard to your saying you would be surprised it would recognise that face, note that PE2020 does recognise the same face with the same glasses and similar hat in this photo as per the attached:

warholplus.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When is it useful to be able to adjust facial features?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Milo34892517apgj asked: When is it useful to be able to adjust facial features?

There are many uses for this feature.  I suspect that it is probably used most for creating a smile and opening eyes wider.  Tilting the head in one direction or another can also make a more interesting composition.  The features can also improve lens distortions. 

But, in my opinion, you have to be very subtle with the changes.  Otherwise, the result can look very unrealistic.  Of course, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines