• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to stop crop pre-selection in Elements 2018

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I stop Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018 failing to open a psd file in Expert mode until it has completed four auto-crops of the jpg? That can take up to 10 minutes on a 100MB psd on my fast Windows 10 Pro desktop with SSD drive, dedicated GeForce GT 730/PCIe/SSE2 graphics card and 16GB of RAM.

In the settings, I had disabled Crop Pre-Selection, enabled Use Graphics Processor for Adjusting Facial Features, allocated 11GB of RAM to Elements, and specified 45 History States and 7 Cache Levels.

Element remembers the disabling of crop pre-selection, yet always ignores it. Before fully opening the psd, it always tries to do crop pre-selection if the last thing I did the last time was to manually crop the jpg. And it always ignores the Cancel button in each of the Crop progress boxes. It won't allow me to edit the psd until it has finished doing four auto-crops.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the pref setting stick?

From Expert mode go to:

Edit >> Preferences >> General

Uncheck the box enabling crop pre-selection and click OK

Preferences are reached from the Adobe PSE menu on Mac OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you unticked the Enable Crop Pre-selection, it will always stay unticked after you close the app and restart it. However, the app always ignores the empty tick if the crop tool had been selected when the app was last closed (which is typical of actual usage). It will always do crop-preselection if it starts with the crop tool on regardless of the empty tick box for Crop Pre-selection.

It will open multiple crop progress bars and Image sizing progress boxes one after another and will always ignore the Cancel button on each Crop progress box. There may be 20  to 30 crop progress boxes. You cannot edit until all the progress boxes have stopped, which can be 10 minutes later for a 100 MB psd.

This is not a new issue. There are several other posts that mention the same problem. None provide a solution.

It's actually a bug that has been in Elements for several versions and has never been fixed.

Crop pre-selection serves no useful function and ought to be removed from Elements. It NEVER gives a better or faster crop than a manual crop. It serves NO PURPOSE except to slow down Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What about the lateset version of PhotoShop elements?.... does this still occur ?

I am having issues with speed on my system ....

Its a Dell 64bit 16g memory ssd  Windows10

intel xeon 2.70ghz.....

and a samsung 42" 4k monitor.......

it seems everytime I try cropping that's when I slow down, and I am running files from my local ssd not the network....wish I had a Mac......I also have the Nvidio graphics....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines