• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use hand tool/move image when zoomed in (Guided Edit)

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Guided edit function of PSE2021 on Windows 10. In this example, I'm using the replace background option.  Here is the problem I have.  When I use the quick selection to outline my subject, I want to zoom in so I can see the edges clearly and define them better.

However, when the Selection tool (quick) is active and I zoom in, it just zooms to the center of the image. 

If I switch to the HAND tool in order to move to the portion of the image I want, it moves, but then when I click ont he selection tool - quick again, once it is active the screen zooms out and centers iteself again.

I found if i use the keyboard shortcuts for "Scroll up or down 10 units, Scroll left or right 10 units", then I am able to position the portion of the image where I want, while the selection tool is active.

Is there an easier way to do this? I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

TOPICS
Actions , How to , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Try using the spacebar.  This will activate the Move tool temporarily while you move the image around.  Once you take your finger off the spacebar, the Quick Selection tool will still be active. 

If you are on Windows and have a mouse wheel, you may find it useful to enable Zoom with scroll bar in Edit>Preferences>General.  This allows you to zoom in and out with your mouse.  The Guided Edit also allows you to zoom in and out using Ctrl plus +/-.  Using these controls allows the Quick Selection

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the spacebar.  This will activate the Move tool temporarily while you move the image around.  Once you take your finger off the spacebar, the Quick Selection tool will still be active. 

If you are on Windows and have a mouse wheel, you may find it useful to enable Zoom with scroll bar in Edit>Preferences>General.  This allows you to zoom in and out with your mouse.  The Guided Edit also allows you to zoom in and out using Ctrl plus +/-.  Using these controls allows the Quick Selection tool to remain active.

I know nothing about Macs, so don't know if these tips also work there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic!  I thought I might be missing something easy. Thanks so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know you found a solution but I still wanted to add something: if you keep control pressed then you will also activate the zoom option. Now simply draw an outline around the area you want to zoom into and then only that area will be zoomed. I'm not sure from mind how this will react with an active selection but it's what I always use whenever I want to zoom into a specific area.

Hoping this can also help you out a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines