• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use masks to specify just one area of my photo to apply the Enhance->unsharp mask tool.

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning all, 

Not even sure what i'm asking is possible.  The reason i'm trying to use a mask is because  i had been trying to sharpen my image using 'refine edge'->Adjust edge, and , (after increasing the smooth and contrast)  i still can't see a difference in the edge when i compare the old and changed pic. 

So, i started watching some self help videos and they suggest using the 'unsharp mask' tool/option? (not sure which it is, tool or option?) to sharpen my image.  I tried, but it applies its effect to every object on the canvas.  

I just want to sharpen my friend Davis's arms (too blurry).  I thought a mask would be a good idea so i selected one of his arms and then clicked 'add a mask; located right next to 'create new fill or adjustment layer' but know i don't have the option to use the unsharp mask (its grayed out) 

I've included a pic of what project looks like. 

Thank you so much for any direction you might be able to provide. 

Brian screenshot for applying unsharp mask to davis left arm 6-30-2020.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Invariably I use the workflow as descrived by 99jon as well.

However, following along with the method that you embarked upon, apply unsharp mask to the entire picture, then apply a mask, and paint the mask with a black brush where you do not wish to sharpen. If you go too far, correct with a white brush. (Black hides, white reveals.)

Another way to sharpen is to use the sharpen tool found in the tool box. It's ok if used gingerly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After selecting the arm press ctrl+J to create a duplicate layer of just the selection. Then use unsharp mask. See images below. You can click the eyeball icon on layer one (on/off) to see the effect.

Arm-Select.jpg

Arm.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Invariably I use the workflow as descrived by 99jon as well.

However, following along with the method that you embarked upon, apply unsharp mask to the entire picture, then apply a mask, and paint the mask with a black brush where you do not wish to sharpen. If you go too far, correct with a white brush. (Black hides, white reveals.)

Another way to sharpen is to use the sharpen tool found in the tool box. It's ok if used gingerly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screenshot for applying unsharp mask to davis left arm 7-1-2020.png

Thank you so much for the reply.

It works.  However, i'm not very knowledgable with the settings.  The default was 100, .1, 6 .      I looked around to see if i could find some suggested settings (as i am unfamiluar with them).  Most of my experimenting produced a whole lot of 'Noise' (i think thats what you call it).  In the end i settled for 150, 1.5, 6 (still lots of noise but tolerable).  Was wondering if you had any thoughts on 'how to avoid 'noise' while using the unsharp mask'.  There are three settings which means infite possbilities.  In my case; Infite possbilities to make 'noise'.  

Also, probably does not help that my friend Davis is a particularly hairy person.  That made it hard to make a selection of his arm.  I used the auto selection (like 99jon) but would it be better to use quick selection and select ' a wee bit' outside his arm?  Would that help the Unsharp Mask do it's job more efficently? 

Thank you again for your thoughts. 

Brian 

Oh, I included screen-image shot for you so you can see what i was doing.  Thx for adding the 'History' it made it way easier for me to understand what you were explaining. 

P.S. My image is 1920 x 1080 pixels with Horizontal and Vertical resolution of 96 bpi and bit depth of 24.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When using unsharp mask I always tend to keep threshold at 1 and radius at zero or quite a value small but it’s really a matter of personal preference. When making a precise selection you can use the menu:

Select >> Modify >> Expand

You could then add 1 pixel etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines