• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I depend on this as a photographer. What does this mean? I am trying to trace a picture.

Participant ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to back up my Photoshop Organizer on external hard drive, and 128,000 pictures to transfer to a new PC.  I depend on this as a photographer, it is 17 years work!  It has always worked in the past

When I backup it does 97% and then I get this message - ''C:\Users\ukphotos\Pictures\iCloud Photos\Photos\IMG_4151_edited1.jpg''  ( have changed it a little).  Know nothing about iCloud - and I cannot find 4151 in Organizer or my files.   Can somebody please help.  Can Adobe phone me or contact me?  Am willing to pay for help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @IAN JULIAN 

Photoshop does not have an organizer. Are you using Lightroom? Lightroom Classic? Photoshop Elements? We can move your post. This is a user forum and we can't call you. Do not respond to scammers who may PM you purporting to be Adobe.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I menat this to go to Elements.  I believe it has done, but I also wanted help with iCloud - whatever that is.

If you do not have a facility for iCloud or file difficulty, then please delete from Photoshop, and I will leave it with Elements.  I do not suppose you have anyehere in the UK where I can take my laptop.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@IAN JULIAN wrote:

I also wanted help with iCloud - whatever that is.

Hi

iCloud is Apple's storage for photos, mail, contacts, etc. 

https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/what-is-icloud-mm74e822f6de/icloud

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , I've moved your post from the Photoshop forum to the Photoshop Elements forum where you are more likely to get help with your issue.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jan,

I did not answer to your other post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements/i-depend-on-my-organizer-as-a-photographer-but-hav...

because of the iCloud folder you mentioned. I don't know anything about Macs, so I waited for experienced Mac users to start helping you.

a few questions:

- Did you notice a more precise error message or did it clearly indicate that the problematic file was unsupported or corrupt?

- was the full path of the problem file indicated?

- Do you have a relatively recent full backup?

- Can you confirm that you could not find the file name by a search both in the organizer and in the explorer?

- Did you try the usual troubleshooting: searching for missing files, repairing and optimizing?

The fact that you got to 97% or backup means that the problem file is a relatively recent one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MichelBParis wrote:

Hi Jan,

I don't know anything about Macs, so I waited for experienced Mac users to start helping you.

Michel, do you mean @IAN JULIAN  instead of "Jan" (or even "Jane")?

I've just re-read Ian's post and note these things. It may take a little collaboration with several of us knowing bits and pieces.

• Macs don't have a C drive, which indicates Ian is on Windows. He can confirm.
  • He may possibly have iCloud installed because he has an iPhone. iCloud runs on both Windows and Macs.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201391
  • This part of the path "IMG_4151_edited1.jpg" may indicate that the backup has gotten stuck on this edited photo that is stored in iCloud.

I don't use Windows or Photoshop Elements.

@davescm : Trevor uses an iPhone and Windows, and we have seen Conrad's posts about iPhoto management. Do you think either of them can assist?

~Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jan,

I don't know anything about Macs, so I waited for experienced Mac users to start helping you.

By @MichelBParis

Michel, do you mean @IAN JULIAN  instead of "Jan" (or even "Jane")?

I've just re-read Ian's post and note these things. It may take a little collaboration with several of us knowing bits and pieces.

• Macs don't have a C drive, which indicates Ian is on Windows. He can confirm.
  • He may possibly have iCloud installed because he has an iPhone. iCloud runs on both Windows and Macs.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201391
  • This part of the path "IMG_4151_edited1.jpg" may indicate that the backup has gotten stuck on this edited photo that is stored in iCloud.

I don't use Windows or Photoshop Elements.

@davescm : Trevor uses an iPhone and Windows, and we have seen Conrad's posts about iPhoto management. Do you think either of them can assist?

~Jane

By @jane-e

Yes, I meant @IAN JULIAN .

He is certainly in Windows.

I am waiting for his answers.

I'll read your link to the iCloud doc.

Many thanks for your help.

Edit:

It seems that iCloud does manage cloud sync just like OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Drive. So, there should be no special issue to manage catalogs in the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for helping. This is very difficult to do via a forum ,but I cannot take it to a shop because it takes a day just to try to backup, then it breaks down.

I am on Windows 10.

Yes, I may have photos stuck on iCloud, I don’t know how many or how to clear.  I have been trying for 2 weeks now.  I do have an iPad.  Maybe if I get rid of the cloud somehow?  I have tried everything else.

Ian

www.natureandpictures.com

Sunny Bournemouth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for helping. This is very difficult to do via a forum ,but I cannot take it to a shop because it takes a day just to try to backup, then it breaks down.

I am on Windows 10.

Yes, I may have photos stuck on iCloud, I don’t know how many or how to clear.  I have been trying for 2 weeks now.  I do have an iPad.  Maybe if I get rid of the cloud somehow?  I have tried everything else.

Ian

www.natureandpictures.com

Sunny Bournemouth

By @IAN JULIAN

It's important to know the precise error message. That may tell us if If you have one problem file or more. That may tell us if it's a missing file, a corrupt one or an unsupported one. That's quite possible even if you have heic Mac specific file formats.

Yes, a backup requires many hours, so before trying another one, can you have a look at the size of the iCloud folder and its number of items. If that folder is small compared to the full size of your library. I can see a way to create a full backup of the files minus the files in the iCloud folder. Dealing with those iCloud files would be done separately.

My suggestion:

- locate your catalog folder. Menu Help >> system Info.

- copy the whole catalog folder elsewhere.

- open that catalog copy and double click on the 'catalog.pse19db' file. That will open your organizer with the catalog copy.

- select the files in the iCloud folder. You'll have to delete them from this catalog NOT from disk (very important!)

- If you have several thousands of files in the iCloud folder, delete by batches of about 500 files at a time, it's a slow process.

- When the files are deleted from catalog, start a new backup for a night job. You might search for missing files, repair and optimize before the backup for added safety. I am convinced you'll have a sound backup of most of your precious library.

- After that, it won't be very long to do a normal Explorer copy of the iCloud folder as a backup outside of the catalog (after writing metadata to tags).

Then, the last part will be to find what is wrong in the files in the iCloud folder. Ideally, that should correct the issues preventing the full backup including the iCloud folder. We'll see how to do that when you have secured the full backup of the catalog copy without iCloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines