• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm trying to backup my catalog in Elements Organizer 2020 and it crashes

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to backup my catalog in Elements Organizer 2020 and it gets to prepare for backup and then crashes, the size of file approx 880GB. 

Any ideas

Thanks

[Moving from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

TOPICS
Bug , Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that Photoshop Elements 2020 crashes when you try to take a backup. Do you have any USB hubs connected?
Or any external disk drives connected to your system? If so, try disconnecting those drives, reboot, then see if the Elements Organizer will allow you to create a new album.

Also, does this happen with all catalogs? Or if you created a new catalog do you see the same crashes when creating a new album or backing up?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I am having the same problem as the above user.  Brand new laptop, just purchased Elements.  My Catolog is cover about 600GBs of pictures.  When I try to back up to my external Hard Drive, it gets all the way to "please wait while Elements Orgnaizes prepares for backup..."  The App takes a few minutes and then becomes unresponsive and crashes.  I have tried pointing back up to an external hard drive (my preference) and the laptops own hard drive.  I have tried shutting down and restarting.

Any guidance for a fix?  If I can't back up to an external drive, also seems to defeat the issue of creating a backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try repairing and optimizing the catalog in File>Manage Catalogs.  Also, make sure that you have no missing files in the catalog by using the Find>All Missing Files command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, a major problem.  Have a little over 1TB of photos and videos and can never backup the catalog.  Elements Organizer stalls and becomes unresponsive when generating the backup while displaying the screen message that it is "generating the catalog".  Have let it run for over 24 hours and still fails to backup.  The problem has been ongoing and is sufficiently well documented to merit a resolution from Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, a major problem.  Have a little over 1TB of photos and videos and can never backup the catalog.  Elements Organizer stalls and becomes unresponsive when generating the backup while displaying the screen message that it is "generating the catalog".  Have let it run for over 24 hours and still fails to backup.  The problem has been ongoing and is sufficiently well documented to merit a resolution from Adobe!

By @LemonPeeler

The problem is as old as the organizer, and can be summarized like this: the backup process scans all media files, creates a renamed version of each file, updates the backup.tly file and makes a few checks about the validity of the file. We would expect a clear error message when such a non valid or corrupt file stops the process, but that's still not happening. There is an urgent need to at least publish a procedure to retrieve the 'log' files for errors in the process. There is also no official way of using an alternative backup procedure which ensures keeping the links to the restored location on a different drive.

From the many complaints we are getting, there is a major issue with a few video formats, but also with some specific photo formats. The general advice was to create a catalog folder copy - use it to delete all video files from catalog, not from disk. Most of the time that worked. Then you could start the same copy, deleting one type of video only, until you find the unsupported one. If you can find the error log and a corrupt photo file, that can also help. I don't know if the suggestion from Akash Sharma about some other external drive or USB hubs is frequent, but I have had issues with some external drives configs.

If you can't run the organizer backup succesfully, use other alternative backup or syncing solutions for both your photo files and your catalog folders. Reconnecting a big library like yours (a bit larger than mine) is nearly impossible.

I suspect that if your photo library is on its own drive, a 'clone' could work with the same catalog (with same drive letter) since the internal serial number of the drive would be also 'cloned'. Maybe something to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, thank you for your thoughtful response. It is almost incomprehensible that Adobe has not addressed such an important issue.  We have spent weeks and months identifying people in our photographs or videos and certainly cannot afford to lose all this work.  Unfortunately, we don't have the time to work with thousands of photos and videos in order to find a 'Problem Child' in the mix somewhere, as suggested by some articles.

One of our observations, so far, is that Adobe Elements seems to struggle handling the processing demanded by face recognition, cataloging, and catalog backups.  Our computer has a great CPU, ample memory, and tons of disk space, but runs endlessly or hangs up trying to perform these tasks for the Organizer.  We can understand the  demands of face recognition, but that is palatable since we can turn it off by exiting the program and continue later.  On the other hand, the catalog backup simply does not work.  We're assuming that the catalog is just that, and not a backup of all the image files.  So, not sure why the program has such a hard time archiving just file locations, types, or other cross-reference information in the catalog database.  In the end, we wonder if this program can even handle such tasks.

From our perspective, we don't understand all the problematic technical implications of connected USB devices or incompatible video formats, but should not have to worry about that anyway.  We buy good programs so we don't have to worry about technical glitches like this!  Although, we are fairly advanced computer users and, fortunately, have great NAS redundant backups for all our data.  Regardless, we can't afford to waste a lot of time searching for answers trying dozens of  potential work-arounds.  The product developers should be doing this work to polish off the program features that simply don't work.

Thank you again for your response, we certainly hope Adobe can address this important issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of our observations, so far, is that Adobe Elements seems to struggle handling the processing demanded by face recognition, cataloging, and catalog backups.  Our computer has a great CPU, ample memory, and tons of disk space, but runs endlessly or hangs up trying to perform these tasks for the Organizer.  We can understand the  demands of face recognition, but that is palatable since we can turn it off by exiting the program and continue later.  On the other hand, the catalog backup simply does not work.  We're assuming that the catalog is just that, and not a backup of all the image files.  So, not sure why the program has such a hard time archiving just file locations, types, or other cross-reference information in the catalog database.  In the end, we wonder if this program can even handle such tasks.

By @LemonPeeler

No, I as said, the orgnizer backup saves (copies and rename) both the media files and all the data in the catalog folder. That's an exclusive feature of the organizer which other 'pro' management softwares like Lightroom do not offer.Your photo library (the photo or video files) is large, and even without the renaming task and updating of the backup.tly file, you don't use much more backup time than simply copying your 880 GB. If you want to save your catalog folder, simply copy it elsewhere, that's fast, simple and safe.

In your situation, you should absolutely:

- write metadata to files, which would enable any other file management software to recover most of your tagging from a copy of your files tree.

- use any other kind of backup, syncing or cloning app to create an external backup.

- make a copy of your catalog folder.

By the way, that's something you should do like me regularly even if the organizer backup and restore works. Syncing is much faster than a full backup copying all the media files. I absolutely don't trust only a NAS as a backup, I have several backups on USB external drives on different locations, hundreds of miles apart. Think about fire, flood, theft, user big errors, Cloud issues...

So, what is the risk and the penalty of your present issue?

- You can't move easily your library and catalog to a new drive or PC.

- You'll be able to recover both library and catalog, but on a different drive or PC, all your location links in the database will be disconnected. And reconnecting in your case is an impossible task...

Also, do you still have older full backups, even for older PSE versions?

Once you have taken the above safety tasks, we can try to suggest further steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still have the same problem with 2021 version. Just stops with no error message. Task Manager shows that nothing is happening... Need to find better organizing software if Adobe can't fix this known problem after all these years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem with Elements 2023, only 17k photos no video.  Have will it work when I have transfer all of my photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Having the same problem with Elements 2023, only 17k photos no video.  Have will it work when I have transfer all of my photos

By @keithE 53

Hi Keith,

We have seen several examples of problems in the same step of the workflow. In my last full backup (nearly 1TB and 90 000 files) that step lasted a bit longer than usual (a few minutes). So, it's possible that there is a new issue. It will not be long before I try another one on my newly installed laptop. I'll come back with my results. I am on Win 11 and I don't use face recognition which is a factor of slowness in the backup process.

Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines