• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

If it can go wrong, it will go wrong

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not long ago upgraded Windows 10 to a newer version.  I use PSE  2018, after the upgrade, elements kept crashing after about 1 minute.  I found a thread on the help page where somebody was having the same trouble and had found a solution, this person posted how they resolved the problem.  I copied their advice and now PSE2018 was up and running...so I thought.  The problem I am having is...I open an image, control+J to make new layer.  With Quick selection tool I run over the bland sky, the dotted line appears, I go to the Blending mode, change Normal to Multiply, here is the problem, instead of changing the marked off sky area, the whole image is changed by the multiply mode, I can't get it to just work on the selected area, also the dotted lines don't clear once I have finished.  Has anybody else had this problem and if so how did you solve it?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm moving this to the elements forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that you are using the wrong tool.

Open your picture file

Activate the Smart Brush Tool. On the tool's option bar, you should see "Blue Skies" as one of the options

With the cursor, "paint" over the sky.

To get rid of the "marching ants" outline, press CTRL+D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how does that solve the problem that the Multiply is not working, it's only since the Windows 10 upgrade, the question has nothing to do with the Brush tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not certain of this but blending modes (aka layer blending modes) affect entire layers.  Try placing the selected sky on its own ctrl-j layer and changing its blending mode there.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To use this technique, it is a little more complicated.

You need the original picture with the drab sky, and a picture of a "good" sky with nice clouds. You can either take it yourself, or find one via Google Images.

Open both of these picture files

Copy/paste the good sky picture on the picture with the drab sky

Access the move tool and position the new sky over the old, drab sky. Set the blending mode to darken on the new sky layer

Set your foreground color chip to white

Activate the Gradient tool, and drag  Foreground to transparent linear gradient from below to the top of the tree line (if there are trees) while holding down the Shift key

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how does that solve the problem of the Multiply blend not doing what it
should do?

Virus-free.
www.avast.com

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the preferences file. Go to Edit>Preferences>General tab and click the Reset Preferences on next launch button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you, I will give it a try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines