• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

image -> mode -> bitmap

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

while i have used elements (7 & 12) for sometime now (still barely delved into what it can actually do)... i am perplexed by a recent attempt to help a friend.    I was asked to send a scan or other manor of a signature to be added for some certificates so they may be presented at a function in three days.    I asked what format, told pdf would be fine.   i scanned it in (600dpi) 1500 x 4500 pdf.    told the file failed/unusable, came in as a bitmap.    confirmed he was using adobe product.   sent three new files, one nef, one jpg and a psd file.   was told all thee failed as they were coming as useless bitmaps.     i dbl checked at my end, file extensions confirmed.    both elements of mine were able to open all files i had sent (except for the nef, not supported).     he lets me know he selects "mode" and the drop down only shows "bitmap" as an option, and yes, it was checked as the choice.    in my versions, i have four choices, so is there a way to reset his to allow rbg?   or any other pssable choices?     **no, he has yet to reveal which adobe product or version he is operating, i'm guessing elements since cymk wasn't an option for him.
PS: he is doing this as a favor for free, but if there is an issue, i would like to help him.   but fear he may be offended if i keep asking questions without any suggestions to "fix" this issue.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two different meanings of bitmap.

1. ANY kind of image made from pixels (this includes all of the work you can do in Photoshop Elements)

2. An image where every pixel is "on or off" or simple black and white with no greys or colours (This is a mode in Photoshop Elements, but obviously not what is normally used for photos etc.)

It may be that they don't want type 1 at all, but want a vector; this cannot be scanned or made in Photoshop Elements. Sometimes this is needed, for example to run a cutter (this can't do colours, only cut lines). But it sounds odd for a signature. Also, they say they want a scan...  so let's assume the problem is that it is type 2. So the question is: are these in bitmap mode? What does Image > Mode show you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest the following to you so that you can provide the scan to your friend:

1. Write the signature on solid white paper with clear black letters, then scan this with the software on your computer.
  2. Save same as a JPEG file
  3. Open the signature file in PSE, and activate the Magic wand tool,  On the tool's option bar, uncheck "contiguous," and try tolerance=32. Click on a white area and hit delete on the keyboard. You may have to do this in several areas and adjust the tolerance value. Once you have deleted the entire white background and any white areas in relation to the letters, you can save this file in PNG format which preserves ttransparency.
  4. The isolated signature can be copy/pasted to the certificates, which you should open in PSE, one at a time.
  5. Use the move tool to position the signature to the appropriate spot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I need to clarify...   HE is using CC3.   he seems to be able to bring what ever format I sent into the program.   ONCE in, he went to "image" > "mode" and the files all came up as "bitmap", rgb, greyscale, cymk or indexed were not avail.    so he claims everything I sent was not usable (and if that is the case, how do I fix that?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines