• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image not copying after creating a layer mask

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be an easy question but it's not working for me.

Photoshop Elements 2020 (Windows 10)

After I've made a selection of an image, created a layer mask in order to use the Refine Edge tool, the "Copy" option is greyed out in the Edit menu.  I want to simply copy and paste the image onto another image.

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you have completed enhancing your picture, go to Select>all, then Edit>copy.

Open the other image, then Edit>paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks hatstead, I will try that.

I just encountered another problem: When I select "Fit to Screen", my image does not fill the workspace like other examples I see on other platforms.  See attached.  Not sure why it's like this.  It never did this before.  This is recent.

Thanks.

Fit Screen.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Engage the zoom tool to enlarge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi hatstead,

I must have skipped a step concerning the layer mask question.  I "Selected All" and copied but when I pasted my image onto the other image, it pasted my entire image along with the background.  It didn't paste the part that I specifically selected in the first place.  Which thumbnail should be highlighted in order to Copy the selection I made?  See screenshot below.

Thanks.

Mask.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you want to copy the selected pixels (the active selection) to a new layer, right click and choose 'layer via copy'. That creates a new layer with only the selected pixels. It's up to you to edit the selection (move, resize etc) and the created layer opacity, blend mode; then to 'merge' that layer with a layer of your choice if you want. If you copy then active selection (Ctl C), the paste (Ctrl V), it's the same process.

Which thumbnail to highlight? With the copy and paste process, the question is important if you want to paste a selection (or a whole image) in an existing mask. You should not only select the correct layer and highlight the mask icon, but also Alt Click on the mask to make it active; it shows its content or is blank, then you paste (Ctrl V); alt Click again and you are back in the layer from the mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MichelBParis,

That's great, thanks for the very helpful tips!  I will try those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DinoD48,

Let us assume that you have a group picture (B) and someone is missing and you wish to add to the group.

You have picture (A) with the missing person on it.

Open A and use one of the selection tools, e.g.lasso tool, selection brush, to select the person  Once the selection is complete you should see an outline ("marching ants"} surrounding the person.  Go to Edit>copy to place it on the clipboard.

Open B, and go to Edit>paste. The selection (A) will come in on a separate layer.

Activate the move tool and position & resize as necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the helpful info hatstead, much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines