• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import all from Lightroom to PSE - previous edits?

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking of migrating from an old stand alone version of Lightroom to PSE (because I don't want the subscription version!!). I've downloaded the trial version of PSE to see how I get on with my 28,000 photos. The question I have is what happens to the edits that have been done in Lightroom? If I include the sidecar files then I get the metadata but what happens to edits please? Will I just get the original files, or the latest edits losing the original? I'm talking mostly jpegs rather than RAW. Thanks very much for any assistance.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For jpegs you should be able to save the settings in the Lightroom catalog to files. Try with a single folder of images to test. Press Ctrl+A (Cmd+A) to select all items in the folder and from the Lightroom menu choose:

Metadata >> Save Metadata to Files (Ctrl+S or Cmd+S)

Then use the Organizer menu:

File >> Get Photos & Videos >> From Files & Folders

Navigate to your folder, select all and click open or get media .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gosh, thanks for such a swift response. Do you know if I'll get an original jpeg plus the one with the amendments? I'll try to experiment later today when I get to my PC. I imported some files yesterday and thought I'd included the metadata but it looked as though I had the original files. I'm greedy and want both!! I'd hate to lose the original file, but also I don't want to lose the considerable amount of changes I've made over the years also. Thanks for your help once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to get back to the original is to go back into Lightroom Develop module and click the re-set button or click the first import state in the history panel. I don’t expect you will need to do this very often but it remains an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tested with jpegs with the usual parametric edits in LR.

The shortcut CRTL S does write those editing settings as well as the other metadata (keywords ...) into the metadata header of each jpeg file, without changing anything to the pixels.

(The result is the same as editing a jpeg in camera raw. You can see the camera raw data in the information panel of the organizer or in the info panel of the editor.)

When I import those jpegs into a PSE catalog, they open ok in camera raw with the LR settings. You can go back to the original state, for instance removing crop or going back from monochrome to color. Same behaviour as when I edit jpegs in ACR and simply click 'Done'.

However, I am puzzled with the fact that the thumbnail refuses to update... Does it work like this for you?

Of course, the PSE ACR settings are only a selecton of those available in LR or the full ACR, but I can change those edits if needed.

Another solution for jpegs would be to save them as DNGs from LR (which keeps the correct thumbnail).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently having a nightmare with this, thumbnails are not updating as far as I can see also, which would explain some of the problems then! This isn't being helped by me having spent years in Lightroom (can use it blindfolded..:-)), and knowing nothing about PSE. I'm importing with Metadata, but preumably need to use the edit element of PSE to 'revert' back to the original if wanted? Very intersting to see the tip about saving to DNG, thanks. Also not sure about the implications of having the 'created' date the date of import into PSE.

I think to be fair to PSE and the very helpful and knowlegable people here, I need to first spend a week or so learning PSE basics, then see if I can achieve what I want from it. Such a shame Adobe don't provide reverse migration. If I'm honest, I prefer the sidecar method that Lightroom uses rather than several versions of the same file which I think PSE does. Thank you so much for your help, if I do end up using PSE it'll be because of the support here. I'll disappear for a while in an attempt to educate myself before being dismissive......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to know how you finally resolved this.  I am once again considering bailing out of Lightroom as my usage has become very sporadic and I fear my poor old Lightroom 6 will soon become unusable.  I understand that Adobe makes more money if they can force me to subscribe to Classic, but by not providing an offramp to their own product (Elements) they are instead forcing me to consider using someone else's.  I would go back to Elements, even if it meant that my work flow had to change. But I dont want to lose the work I have put in editing and organizing my photos in Lightroom.   And, like you, I want to retain the original file, as well as the edits (which of course are "non-destructive" in the Lightoom eco-system.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to know how you finally resolved this.  I am once again considering bailing out of Lightroom as my usage has become very sporadic and I fear my poor old Lightroom 6 will soon become unusable.  I understand that Adobe makes more money if they can force me to subscribe to Classic, but by not providing an offramp to their own product (Elements) they are instead forcing me to consider using someone else's.  I would go back to Elements, even if it meant that my work flow had to change. But I dont want to lose the work I have put in editing and organizing my photos in Lightroom.   And, like you, I want to retain the original file, as well as the edits (which of course are "non-destructive" in the Lightoom eco-system.) 

By @nancythenice

I am also very interested in the experience of @lindaf62080553 .

What I can say beside my former answer is that you can test yourself for free and without changing anything to your current Lightroom library. As already stated, the parametric editing does work. The original is unchanged, the edits are saved and understood by the ACR module in Elements. You can always output psd/tiff files with absolutely all LR parametric applied included those not available in in the PSE ACR. You can apply or edit the smaller set of parametric editing  common to LR and PSE ACR without creating an output file.

Just consider the percentage of files in your library which would need reprocessing with the more limited set of parametric editing of PSE ACR. For me, that would be a few percents only. And since I have always thought that even the recent  functions added to LR are not enough to compensate for the flexibility and richness of the normal PSE editor with all its tools and layers, I would lose nothing for editing. I would only have a slighter reduced percentage of paramatrically edited files and more 'version sets'.

What you can do for free.

- download and install the fully functional PSE trial version which you can test for 30 days.

- In LR, use the function to write metadata to files on a folder selection or for your whole library.

- Import all those files in the catalog. You'll recover your keywords, captions and ratings as well as the parametric edits in xmp sidecar files for raws and in the metadata header for jpegs and other non raws.

- As already stated, I think you'll have the issue of the jpegs showing a thumbnail of the original 'as shot' file in their thumbnails. Opening in ACR will recognize the parametric edits and just changing a tiny thing in the edits before clicking 'Done' will update the thumbail. Now, I generally solve this thumbnail issue by the following batch process: I open about 50  jpegs in 'Open in ACR' in the editor. I apply a tiny change in sharpening to all selected files, click 'Done' and the invisible changes trigger an update of the thumbnails. All those jpegs now open automatically in the ACR module.

Also note that in that 30 days free trial, you can test the 'auto' features available in the current organizer and not available in old LR versions. There are also nice scripts available in the editor via the very affordable Elements+ plugin to recover some of the LR features missing in ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks MichelB.  It is very helpful to have the process explained again (I still think it would be nice if Adobe made it simple) and to be reminded of the Elements free trial.  It would also be great to know, however, whether the original poster, Lindaf, decided to go forward with cutting the Lightroom cord, so to speak, in favor of Elements, and if so, whether she is happy with that decision.  I have read reports from others who migrated to CaptureOne, for example, and are happy.  But wonder about her experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am coming back:

I have submitted a bug/suggestion in the feeback forum

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/elements-acr-and-update-thumbnails-for-jpegs

Please vote for this suggestion to give it more weight.

Edit:

I have edited that bug report to indicate that the lack of thumbnail updates is not only linked with the original question of this discussion: it also lacks when editing jpegs from the ACR version of Elements, not only from LR/PS. So, clearly a bug for PSE users who are invited to vote on this topic in the feedback forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines