Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Raw files into ACR for re-processing

Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am repeating this post because it does not appear in my "follows"

I have a number of Raw images .NEF  with their .XMP file.

I think I can improve them and would like to reprocess in ACR.

When I import them into ACR they open in their original un-processed and un-cropped version.

Sind the alterations I need to make are mainly to the setting of a single atribute, I would prefer the .XMP information to have been imported with the.NEF image.  

Do I have to import both .NEF and the .XMP files?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The previous settings should show up automatically if the original XMP file is next to the NEF in the same folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I have to import both .NEF and the .XMP files?

Just to be clear, what do you mean when you talk about import?  As John suggests, if the .xmp file is in the same folder as the .nef file, the parametric changes (edits) should show up when the file is opened again in the ACR editor.  But, did you save the original changes?  Or did you possibly save the .nef file as a copy and you are trying to open the original?

Or are you talking about importing the file into a new catalog or opening from a memory card?  Or are you using some other workflow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both,

On reading your remarks I immediately realized the cause of my problem.. 

I always download the images from my camera to a dedicated folder.

I processed the files in ACR and Opened them in Elements Editer.

This automatically saves the Raw and xmp files in the original dedicated folder.

I complete my edit in Elements and save the file as an psd back into the same folder.

Both the xmp and the psd files have identical icons, and since the file numbers are the same they sit alongside each other in the folder.

When I later transferred the Raw files to a new folder I inadvertantly transferred the psd files with them instead of the xmp files.

When I then tried to re-import the Raw file for reprosessing in ACR, they opened without the xmp files.

It was further complicated by the fact that I had transferred some of the xmp and some of the psd files.

Thank you for your help and once again I apologize for wasting your time. You must have been a bit perlexed when I described my problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem.  At least, we helped you sort it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines