Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Information in Metadata

Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I feel that that my Nikon 200..500mm lens is a little soft..

I am trying to satisfy myself that my lenses are delivering the resolution that is comparable with that photographs taken with similar equipment by professionals.

My method is pretty basic:

I am using my D500 and D7000 DX format cameras.  

I downloaded a standard resolution test image which I printed on A4 paper.

I take photographs of the image with my camera set up on a tripod at a distance from the target that fills the frame.

To ensure there are no parallax  errors, I make sure that the center of the target is exactly the same level as the center of my camera sensor, that is set vertical and is perpendicular to the axis of camera to target.

The test is set up in open shade under the  roof of my long verandah. the lighting is pretty even.

I change the aperture and take three photos with mirror up and a wireless trigger. I focus each shot manually using enlarged Live View. All the photographs are taken at the same ISO, being 100.

I change the focal length and move the camera to once again fill the frame and repeat the process.

I select the best image at each setting and print it at high resolution on my Epson R3000.

I then do a visual comparison with images with the target test print.

I know that this is pretty crude but I hope to get a more scientific appraisal of the relative resolution on my lenses under near perfect conditions.

My problem is that I need to record all the information as text on each photo to correctly identify them at comparison stage.

In PSE 2018 Information Meta Data it displays the speed, the aperture, the ISO and both the lens focal length and the 35mm focal length.

I insert the information into each photo as Text.

On my Zoom lenses I need to know at what actual focal length the photograph was taken, this information does not seem to be available Meta datas info.

Is there anyway that I can get this additional information ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Focal Length listed should be what the zoom was set at, although i find it frustrating that the actual lens and zoom range is not listed.

You can double check this by either opening the photo in Camera Raw or using File>Info>Camera Data in the pse 2018 editor.

The info in camera raw is just below the Histogram at the top right of the camera raw dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jeff.

Everything I need to know.

For some reason there is no button for correct, only Helpful, Like, Reply & Translate

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines