• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

installation problem with Elements 2020

Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Purchased a DVD copy of Photoshop Elements 2020 this week.  Installed it into a brand new Dell 3670 desktop machine running the latest and greatest Windows 10 install.  Installed Elements with no problems 2 days ago.  Unknown to me, Microsoft One Drive had installed with backup of Pictures directory.  When I restored my backup of Elements 2013 with over 7,000 pictures, the pictures went to One Drive, immediately filling it up.  I removed One Drive, which eliminated my catalog.  I determined it would be easier to delete Elements 2020 and re-install. 

Now, I can't install Elements 2020 without incurring an Error 127.  I have shut off my anti-virus, deleted all references to Adobe in any directory I can find (including hidden files), but still can't re-install 2020.

I'm obviously missing something.  Is there a program that can completely un-install 2020 so that a clean install can be done again?  I know the DVD is good as I installed from it in the first place.  Windows has just finished it's latest upgrades, so it's up to snuff.

Thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you delete or uninstall?

How large is your hard drive and how much free space is there?

Did you try installing from an administrator account?

Download and reinstall from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/photoshop-elements-downloads.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the free trial download. It’s the same as the full program on DVD and after successful installation you can licence with the serial number from your disk packaging. See my blog for more information.

https://99jon.blogspot.com/2019/10/how-to-install-photoshop-elements-2020.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, that worked. I installed the demo version from the DVD. Apparently,
my serial number info is still on my C: drive as it hasn't asked me for
that yet. It still sees the thumbnails from my catalog, but the actual
files aren't on my C: drive. Elements still thinks they're on my One Drive
(which I have removed) and can't connect them to their thumbnails.
Since this installation is an upgrade, my catalog still exists on another
computer under Elements 2013, and on a backup removable drive, I'm not
adverse to cleaning the thumbnails off of this machine and then restoring
the backup. What's the best method of deleting this catalog from this
machine?
Thanks,
Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best method is backup & restore. You start from the PSE13 Organizer on the old computer. Use an external drive and the backup will copy everything including the image files and catalog database.

You then use that backup to restore on to PSE2020 on your latest computer. See link below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catalog-photoshop.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the risk of repeating myself, the newly restored catalog consists only of thumbnails.  The main files were mistakenly transferred to One Drive which has since been disconnected.  How can I delete the thumbnails before I restore the catalog again?

thanks,

Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to this it seems you could create a New Catalog (separate from the old one) and restore to that?  Then delete the older original catalog you're not happy with afterwards?  I don't know.  Just wondering if it might be a good idea or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting a catalog (which does not delete any media file anyway) is easily made from the catalog manager. You simply can't delete a catalog which is open, so you create a new empty catalog and simply click on the 'Remove' button and choose the catalog to be deleted. One click and it's done.

Maybe you tried the option to reconnect missing files? If not, with your small catalog, it's worth trying before deleting or removing the catalog.

http://psekb.blogspot.com/2013/03/how-do-i-reconnect-missing-files-in.html

I suppose the available backup has been made from the organizer. Alternatively, I understand you can create such a backup from your older computer to an external drive as explained by 99jon.

Restoring the catalog will restore both the catalog (the catalog is a folder) and your media files. I recommend storing the restore in a 'custom' location, preferably a master folder just under the root drive, not in 'original location' nor in Pictures nor in Onedrive.

This will ignore the old catalog and create the new catalog folder just under the master folder. The catalog will be seen in 'custom' location when using the catalog manager. If you prefer to have it in the default location on C (a hidden folder), the catalog manager allows that from the 'Move' button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You guys ROCK!!!

Of course the only way to delete a catalog is to open a new one and remove the old one.  Too easy.

Thanks much.

F.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines