Highlighted

Insufficient RAM

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help me. I am 82 years old and not very computer literate.

I am trying to edit some photographs in Elements 15. It doesn't matter which function (cropping ,sharpness etc) I try, I get the message that there is not enough RAM.

Does anybody have a solution to this problem, that works ? I'd very much appreciate an early response as the photo's are required soon. I am using Windows 10 and the system is telling me that Elements is using 70% of the RAM and that this can be increased to 85% max in 5% stages.

Thank you and regards.  Ron

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by hatstead | Adobe Community Professional

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Blue+Issy  wrote

I am trying to edit some photographs in Elements 15. It doesn't matter which function (cropping ,sharpness etc) I try, I get the message that there is not enough RAM.

Does anybody have a solution to this problem, that works ? I'd very much appreciate an early response as the photo's are required soon. I am using Windows 10 and the system is telling me that Elements is using 70% of the RAM and that this can be increased to 85% max in 5% stages.

Last year there was a Windows 10 update which has resulted in problems with Photoshop Elements. It requires a registry fix. See this tech note:

Error: An integer between 50 and 8 is required | Elements | Windows 10

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Insufficient RAM

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by hatstead | Adobe Community Professional

Last year there was a Windows 10 update which has resulted in problems with Photoshop Elements. It requires a registry fix. See this tech note:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 19, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick reply. Unfortunately the link that you gave me doesn't open.

I am just clicking on it.

Is there something more that I should do?

Am I doing something wrong?

Regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2019 0
Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick reply. Unfortunately the link that you gave me doesn't open.

It works for me on Chrome.

Try a different browser.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2019 0
Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also works for me on Firefox.  Are you clicking a link in an email notification?  If so, your email client may have disabled it.  Try coming to the forum to find the link.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2019 0
Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron, the solution posted by hatstead is unfortunately a little geeky.  If you don't feel you are up to it, I would suggest trying to update WIndows to the latest version.  To do this go to the Start button and click the Settings icon in the left-hand panel (it looks like a cog).  Then click on Update and Security Settings, followed by Windows Update and Check for updates.  You should then be given an opportunity to update to the latest (October) update.   It may take a couple of hours to download and install.

I don't know if your problem will be fixed by the latest update, but if you are uncomfortable messing around with the Registry, it may be worth a shot.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Greg,

Thank you for your reply.The link suggested by Halstead won't open so I couldn't follow that. I did as you suggested. I thought that my system was up to date but found a large Windows update file that hadn't updated successfully. I ran that last night and I am now up to date. Unfortunately it hasn't cured my problem, but I'm sure that Windows must be better for it. Thank you again.. I am prepared to have a go at the Registry solution if that will solve my problem, but I would need guidance.

Thank you again

Ron

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2019 0
Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Greg,

The link suggested by Halstead won't open so I couldn't follow that.

Ron,

Have you tried copying and pasting that link into a different browser (Chrome or Firefox)?

Everyone here can access that link, including me. What exactly happens when you click on it? Any error messages?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Thank you. I'nve now opened it and followed the instructions given.

Assuming that I've not made any errors there is no change. I still can't edit photographs

I an told that there is not enough RAM.

My system tells me that I am using 2.6 GB of 3.9 GB that is available.

I think that 1.3GB RAM should be enough. Is that correct.? If it is then there must be another problem.

Thank you again and Regards

Ron.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 21, 2019 0
Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Thank you. I'nve now opened it and followed the instructions given.

Assuming that I've not made any errors there is no change. I still can't edit photographs

I an told that there is not enough RAM.

My system tells me that I am using 2.6 GB of 3.9 GB that is available.

I think that 1.3GB RAM should be enough. Is that correct.? If it is then there must be another problem.

Thank you again and Regards

Ron.

See post #24 by SSPRENGEL for more elegant instructions relating to this issue. If you feel uncomfortable editing the registry, perhaps you can enlist someone to help.

Re: Photoshop Elements 2018 memory problems - unable to edit and save files

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 21, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again. I've repeated the whole process today and this time it worked.

It was an easy fix once I'd repeated it and knew what I was looking for.

Thank's again for your help and patience

Best regards

Ron.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 21, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg, I've gone through the hole process again and this time I was successful.

Thank you for helping me,

Best regards

Ron

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 21, 2019 0
Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 21, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Problem now resolved.

regards

Ron

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 21, 2019 0