• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Integration with photoshop

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have subscribed to Lightroom and like it. However, I can't move photos out into Photoshop, even though I have Elements 2020 downloaded. Any ideas, please?

TOPICS
Import and export , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should have:

- if you work with MAC in the "photo" menu the choice "edit in..." and there you can find "edit in photoshop elements"

- if you work with WINDOWS, which is not my option, I think you can also right click on the picture in lightroom to find the "edit in..." option. Otherwise I suppose it is also in the "photo" menu as in a MAC version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. The trouble is that when I right click, I'm told that Photshop
is not found, despite having it installed locally.

Thank you for responding, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, have a look at the elemental plugin:

https://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/mdawson/tpgelemental/

Keep in mind that 'moving photos out into photoshop' is meaningless: the photo files are where you put them on your computer and LR only reference them in a catalog database just like the Elements organizer. The logical way to manage your files is to use the library of Lightroom and to 'edit in' the Elements editor when you want pixel editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying.

I'm a little slow here. The photos are filed on my external drive, and
uploaded into Photoshop Elements, and thus stored in two places so far as I
can work it out.

I have to upload them separately into LR, but I don't know where the file
is then stored. Are you saying it's in the same place as the original photo
on my external drive, or somewhere else.

Sorry to be so slow.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll start with your statement that "The photos are filed on my external drive". So they don't need to be 'uploaded' or copied somewhere else. However you want to 'manage' those files in order to find them easily, group them and finally 'edit' them to your taste. The solutions offered by either Lightroom and the Elements organizer are based on using 'catalogs', that is databases storing all the information about each of your photo/video files, the location (drive and path) on the computer, all the exif data, all your tags and captions, your albums or collections and indexing all that info for instant retrieval. No photo/videos files are copied or  duplicated;  only 'thumbnails' or small previews are created for fast visual browsing.

So, if you want to manage your photo library, you don't 'upload' if the file is already there on the computer, you "Import", which is not a good word to describe the process, I would rather say you 'index', you 'register' the data in the database. You can manage one or several catalogs, in Lightroom or the organizer, and from those catalogs, you can edit your photos in Lightroom, the Photoshop Elements editor, the full Photoshop or any other external image editor.

So, now, the question is about what software you want to use for your own needs. For instance, you could use Lightroom to manage your catalog(s) and edit your files in Lightroom, Photoshop, the Photoshop Elements editor or another software;  or you could use the Elements organizer to edit in the same above editors.

Generally, it does not make sense not to use the combo Lightroom and Photoshop if you have subscribed to that option, even if the Elements organizer and editor can both organize, manage and edit.

What can make sense is to use Lightroom alone for most of your jobs and use the Photoshop Elements editor when you need it; it's simpler than Photoshop and it has more tools for beginners. That's what was suggested in the first answers in this discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I get that. I have catalogued them in Photoshop because I've
owned that for years.

My problem is that I am unable to get into Photoshop from Lightroom,
because although I have a local copy of Photoshop20, the link doesn't seem
to work. I have asked Adobe for help, and they time out - hence my visit
here and an attempt to find another solution.

So, essentially, when I have altered photos in Lightroom, does that amend
the file itself, and if I click on the photoshop thumbnail, am I taken to
the Lightroom edited version?

Sorry for seeming so slow. I am grateful for you ongoing help.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines