Highlighted

iPhone photos imported to PE 2019 Organizer without photo location data

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded my PE Organizer/Editor from 2018 to 2019 and had a bunch of pictures on my Iphone that weren't on the previous version.  In the past I could import them to the organizer and all the metadata transferred as well.  Not the case with the 2019 version.  The photos I imported (over 1000) resulted in none of the location information transferring - date is there - but not the location which is clearly deliniated on the iPhone photo. 

I definitely do not want to add location features to all of those photos and am surprised that that data didn't import.

The photos are still intact on my phone - not even sure if I can reimport them with correct data as the program will probably see them as dupes.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

iPhone photos imported to PE 2019 Organizer without photo location data

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded my PE Organizer/Editor from 2018 to 2019 and had a bunch of pictures on my Iphone that weren't on the previous version.  In the past I could import them to the organizer and all the metadata transferred as well.  Not the case with the 2019 version.  The photos I imported (over 1000) resulted in none of the location information transferring - date is there - but not the location which is clearly deliniated on the iPhone photo. 

I definitely do not want to add location features to all of those photos and am surprised that that data didn't import.

The photos are still intact on my phone - not even sure if I can reimport them with correct data as the program will probably see them as dupes.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 16, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JacksonBarbara,

Sorry that you're facing issues with missing geo location data when you upgraded your Photoshop Elements catalog from version 2018 to 2019. That seems quite add.

I'd suggest that you do the upgradation of the again maybe in a new catalog to test the behavior as it seems that something might have went wrong while the catalog upgrade was in process

Thanks,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about iphones, but with other recent smartphones, there are many safety and privacy parameters you can set in your phone to prevent disclosure of the GPS coordinates.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great suggestion Michael, but unfortunately I know that's not the problem as in order to get my safe driving discount on my car insurance the GPS has to run at all times....talk about Big Brother...but it gets me a 25% discount!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jackson+Barbara  wrote

Great suggestion Michael, but unfortunately I know that's not the problem as in order to get my safe driving discount on my car insurance the GPS has to run at all times....talk about Big Brother...but it gets me a 25% discount!

Sorry, but with my Android phone I have the GPS running constantly, but I can forbid to communicate GPS data to specific application, including downloading to the computer. It's not a question of running, it's a question of allowing for obvious privacy reasons. Better ask to Mac experts. The general troubleshooting workflow is always to find a way to export your photo to your computer from your OS, without using PSE at all. If the GPS data are there and if they disappear when you 'import' from files and folders, you can tell it's a PSE issue, and then you can provide some food for troubleshooting.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean.  I did double-check that my phone's privacy settings were set to 'allow' when iPhoto is being used so it should work as per instructions on the Apple website.   Great suggestion about using a different program.  I am going to stop the import to the second catalogue now and try pulling them into iPhoto on my mac and see if the location data transfer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.  I realized that I hadn't expanded the metadata info to its maximum.  On doing that, I see that all the information from the iPhone photo has been imported including the GPS coordinates.  Sorry about that!  A reason why one shouldn't do stuff at midnight. The main reason I didn't think the info was there was the fact that no location tag is under the picture in Media view.  So the photos are imported with the info, they are going into Places but it just doesn't show in Media view that it has.  Don't know if there is any way to fix that so that every time I look at a thumbnail in Media view without a location tag that I don't have to check that one needs to be added.  Even when doing cmd W a tag is not added.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now I've got it so that I can go to places and hit the 'get location name' to add the location tag to the Media view.  The downside is I have over 1000 pictures with that problem.  To your knowledge is there an easier way to rectify this issue without having to go to each location on the map and hit the get location name?  It also looks as if the GPS coordinates have been rounded.  Pictures taken at the Botanical Gardens in Singapore are showing two blocks to the west.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The metadata that was attached to the files in the 2018 version carried over okay to the new version, it was the location information of the new photos from my iPhone that didn't import.  Not sure that creating a new catalogue and reimporting will make a difference, but I will give it a try and let you know.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akash,

Please see my replies to Michel.  Any suggestions on how to easily add the location to the photos in Places and why the GPS coordinates are inaccurate?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2019 0